25 firefighters tackle blaze at Deptford takeaway

By Rafi Benady

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire at a takeaway shop with flats above.

The blaze took place in Deptford High Street on Saturday, in the Pizza and Kebab House, and is believed to have started when material caught alight as a charcoal grill was being cleaned.

It then spread via heavy grease inside the extraction system.

The alarm was raised by a member of staff who left the building before fire crews arrived just after 11.30pm. The blaze was under control within an hour.

Fire crews from Deptford, Greenwich and New Cross stations attended the scene.

Part of the ground floor of the shop was damaged by fire.

Three people from the above flats left the building before the brigade arrived.

There were no reports of any injuries.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “We’d like to remind restaurant and takeaway owners to make sure they don’t have dirty ducting.

“If you don’t clean your extraction system regularly, you’re at a greater risk of ducting fires.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *