A pro-Palestinian convoy of about 80 cars stopped traffic on major roads in the capital on Saturday before being held in Kensington.
The Met said the convoy held up traffic on the A13, which runs through east London into central London and the Limehouse Link Tunnel, also in east London, on Saturday night.
At around 10.15pm, police were notified that a convoy of cars displaying Palestinian flags was heading into central London. The cars originally set off from a car park in Hancock Road, Tower Hamlets, the Met said.
Roads policing units, public order teams and a police helicopter were deployed to intercept the group.
The cars were held in Exhibition Road, South Kensington, and a dispersal order was put in place.
All 80 cars were given notices under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act ordering them to end the convoy.
Police seized one vehicle and issued fixed penalty notices for road traffic offences to 18 drivers.
Upon investigation, nine of the other vehicles were found to have defects making them unfit for use and police served the owners prohibition notices.
After examining social media and other footage, the Met have found 15 men they want to identify – believed to be involved in offences as part of the convoy – and have released their images.
Commander Karen Findlay, said: “As soon as the convoy was spotted, a plan was put in place quickly to ensure the convoy would not reach areas where its presence would inevitably cause alarm and intimidation.
“Our enquiries have not only revealed the extent of their dangerous antics on major roads, they’ve also established the group had plans to move on from Exhibition Road to the Israeli Embassy off Kensington High Street.
“Our intervention on Saturday night was effective in stopping this convoy in its tracks, but now we need to identify those we suspect of being involved in offences earlier on their route.”
A spokeswoman from the Met said: “Anyone who can assist with identifying those in the images shared today should call 101, providing the reference 4237915/23 and the unique number in the bottom corner of the images being released.
“Information can also be given to the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.”
Pictured top: The convoy made its way across London before stopping in Kensington (Picture: The Met)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ