Background on ‘The Brain’ – Lucien Favre – as he is clear frontrunner for Crystal Palace job

Crystal Palace have reportedly singled out former Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre as the successor to Roy Hodgson at Selhurst Park.

The Eagles had been close to appointing former Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo. However, after a fresh set of demands from the Portuguese manager, the deal fell through, leaving Palace to restart their search.

Favre, 63, has been out of work since he was sacked by Dortmund in December – despite having secured back-to-back second-place finishes during his two full seasons in charge. He is understood to have held talks with the Eagles over their managerial vacancy.

Favre has spent the majority of his managerial career in Switzerland or Germany and has been nicknamed ‘The Brain’ for his tactical nous. His ability to develop young players and play expansive football could have also caught the attention of the Palace hierarchy.

WHY DID DORTMUND SACK FAVRE?

Although the Swiss manager had secured a place in the last 16 of the Champions League, a 5-1 thrashing at the hands of Stuttgart saw his reign at the Signal Iduna Park come to an end – leaving the club fifth in the Bundesliga table and five points behind league leaders Bayern Munich.

Following Favre’s departure, Dortmund chairman Hans-Joachim Watzke said: “We are all grateful to Lucien Favre for his excellent work over the past two-and-a-half years, in which he and his team won two runner-up championships. As a professional and as a person, Lucien Favre is beyond any doubt.”

During his time at Dortmund, Favre has been praised for improving youngsters such as Erling Haaland, Giovanni Reyna and Camberwell-born Jadon Sancho. He was also credited for bringing the best out of Marco Reus.

WHAT HAVE PALACE SAID?

Steve Parish was quoted last week in an exclusive interview with BBC Sport saying that the managerial hunt was “challenging.”

He added: “There’s not a lack of people who would like to come and manage Crystal Palace football club in the Premier League. It’s a big decision, these things take longer than you would like them to.”

 

WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE PALACE?

 

With the South Londoners kicking off their ninth consecutive Premier League season away to London rivals and Champions League winners Chelsea on August 14, it is crucial Favre has time to implement his tactics into the squad.

 

With 11 squad members still out of contract at the end of June – including Joel Ward, Gary Cahill and Andros Townsend – Favre will quickly need to decide which players he would like to keep for his rebuild.

 

Favre will also have the task of persuading talisman Wilfried Zaha that staying at Selhurst Park is the right move for his career, as the 28-year-old has once again made clear his desire to leave the club in search of trophies.

 

Should Palace agree a deal with Favre this week, the appointment would finally allow the club to push on and begin their preparations for the season ahead.

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *