Brockley man one of duo who murdered newly-qualified electrician in drug deal gone wrong

A Brockley man stabbed a newly-qualified electrician to death but dropped his phone as he ran from the scene.
Neville Marlon Bowen, 24 of Breakspears Road, was one of two men who stabbed the 23-year-old to death in a drug-deal gone wrong, and has been found guilty of his murder.
Mohammad Mustapha Khalid, 20 of Well Street, Hackney, was also found guilty of murder at Kingston Crown Court today, Thursday, 8 March following a trial.
They will be sentenced at the same court on Friday, 9 March.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service just after 1am on Saturday, May 6 2017 following reports of a man found unconscious in Waterloo Road, Uxbridge.
Officers attended and found a 23-year-old man suffering a number of stab wounds.
He was taken to a central London hospital where he died a short while later.
The victim was identified as Kyle Bowen, who lived in the Hayes area. He is not related to defendant Neville Bowen.
During the afternoon and evening of Friday, 5 May Kyle had been celebrating with friends after passing his final exams to qualify as an electrician.
In the early hours, he and a friend agreed to meet a cannabis dealer called MMK to buy some drugs – but they planned to rob MMK, later identified as Khalid, who had arranged to be picked up by Neville Bowen to drive him to Uxbridge for the deal.
Kyle agreed to wait nearby while his friend met MMK alongside a block of maisonettes in Waterloo Road at 1am. The friend spotted Bowen and two other men nearby and left the scene. But Kyle pushed past him and hit MMK who dropped to the floor.
The friend fled up some stairs as Bowen pulled something from his bag and stabbed Kyle repeatedly in the chest and stomach. Khalid also attacked the victim.
The friend’s movement activated a light and Khalid and Bowen fled.
Kyle managed to stagger from the garden where he was attacked and banged on a door saying “I’m gonna die.” He then collapsed and was bleeding heavily from a leg wound. The emergency services were then called.
Kyle had multiple stab injuries including to his leg, arm, chest and neck. Despite the best efforts of medical staff, Kyle was pronounced dead at hospital at 3.50am.
CCTV footage showed a black Ford Focus travelling both ways along Waterloo Road at the relevant times. and the same car in Wells Street picking up Khalid as well as Khalid returning home at about 3.45am.
Officers also completed a sweep of the murder scene and found Khalid’s Nike glasses and Bowen’s mobile phone, which he dropped at the scene.
Khalid and Bowen’s phones also linked them at the scene at the time of Kyle’s murder and they were arrested on 10 May and charged on 12 May.
Detective Inspector Simon Pickford from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, who led the investigation, said: “This was a vicious and deliberate attack which cost Kyle his life. This terrible event has left a young man’s family bereft and struggling to understand why this tragedy happened.
“Khalid and Bowen have shown no remorse for their despicable actions throughout the investigation and trial. I am pleased the jury decided to convict them both after listening to the overwhelming evidence against them.
“My thoughts are with Kyle’s family who have conducted themselves with dignity throughout this most trying of ordeals. While nothing will ever make up for this needless loss of life, I hope today’s conviction gives them a measure of comfort and closure.”
In a statement, Kyle’s parents Cosmos and Sue-Ellen Bowen, said: “Never did I imagine or believe that something like this could ever happen to me or my family. My heart used to go out to other mothers’ sons who were killed in this way. I asked God, what had I done to deserve losing my boy in such a horrific way.
“Our world was turned upside down and torn apart. We will never be the same again.
“Kyle was loved by all who knew him. He had no enemies and never talked ill of anyone. His murder was all so senseless.
“Kyle was a strong young man who never looked for trouble. He would help, support and defend people in need. He had a heart of gold and never held any grudges. How could we be told that our son, brother, grandson, uncle, nephew, cousin and friend, had been stabbed, had been murdered, when he had just found out earlier that day that after three days of intense exams, he had passed all and was now a fully qualified Electrician. He had plans for his future and everything to live for.
“It has been 10 months since the passing of our Kyle and the pain is yet to fade, it is still so raw and our lives are numb and incomplete.
“Kyle was my pride and joy and my man about the house. He constantly made others smile and he would have been humbled and surprised to know he meant so much to so many and made a huge difference to all of our lives.
“As a result of the defendants’ actions they have forced us to relive that traumatic day. The lead up to the trial and having to listen to the content has caused all of us great anxiety, stress and yet more emotional pain. We needed to attend court every day for our Kyle and to hear the facts of the case but as you would appreciate, it has been very difficult for all of us. We would like to thank each and every jury member for having to listen to the awfulness of how our Kyle was murdered, and for reaching what they believe was the right verdict.
“We miss Kyle more than we could ever have thought possible and his death has left an enormous void in our lives. My house is now silent where it used to be full of love and laughter and I long to hear and see Kyle again. Every day I think it will hurt less, it will be easier tomorrow for all of us, but it isn’t. When do the tears stop?”



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *