Charlton Athletic 0-0 Blackpool: Winless run extended to four after frustrating stalemate at The Valley

Charlton’s winless run stretched to four games after a frustrating goalless draw with Blackpool.

Lyle Taylor also picked up his ninth booking of the campaign, edging closer to a two-game suspension, as the Addicks failed to find the back of the net for the third league outing in four.

The Tangerines, who look set to be freed from the unpopular ownership of Owen Oyston in the next few days, started on a high.

Charlton Athletic’s Ben Reeves reacts after a missed chance

Armand Gnanduillet, who scored in the reverse fixture at Bloomfield Road, had the first chance of the game, heading Nya Kirby’s cross over the bar. Kirby himself then saw a volley clear Dillon Phillips goal as the Addicks took a while to settle in front of a bumper crowd, boosted by the reduction of ticket prices to £5 across the board.

All of Charlton’s best work in the first-half came through Joe Aribo on his return to the side after injury. The midfielder danced his way into the area on 17 minutes, pulling back to Jonny Williams who saw an effort blocked.

Charlton Athletic’s Joe Aribo

Aribo repeated his marauding run five minutes later, this time laying it on a plate for Josh Parker. The January window arrival was unable to connect with the ball eight yards out, with Lyle Taylor’s follow-up charged down.

Mark Howard in the Seasiders’ goal was called into action soon after as he held onto Williams’ swerving drive from range, before Phillips had a similar shot from Gnanduillet to deal with, somewhat unorthodoxly batting it away with his chest.

Aribo continued to be a thorn in Blackpool’s side, once more linking up with Williams who was again denied at the near-post just beyond the half-hour mark.

Taylor, on his return from a three-game suspension due to his red card against Accrington Stanley, came one step closer to a further two games on the touchline shortly before the interval.

Charlton Athletic’s Anfernee Dijksteel gets between Blackpool’s Armand Gnanduillet (right) and Nya Kirby

The striker was shown his ninth yellow card of the campaign after a minor tussle with Curtis Tilt – leaving the striker just one booking short of a two-game ban.

Lee Bowyer introduced Mark Marshall at half-time in place of Ben Reeves and the South Londoners came out the traps quickly, forcing a number of corners.

The half wore on with the Addicks struggling to make their possession count, although Parker did have a sight of goal with fifteen minutes left, only for Tilt to step in with a brave block.

The visitors had a huge opportunity to win it inside the final ten minutes. Substitute Nathan Delfouneso fed Gnanduillet inside the area, who left Patrick Bauer for dead but dinked over the crossbar with just Phillips to beat.

Charlton nearly edged ahead themselves late on, as Taylor laid off Aribo inside the box, only for Harry Pritchard to superbly throw himself front of the midfielder’s effort – with Charlton forced to settle for a point.



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *