Charlton AthleticSport

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Southend United: Addicks unable to find winner against ten-man Shrimpers

Charlton had to settle for a point against former manager Chris Powell’s ten-man Southend United.

Stephen Humphry’s deflected shot had given the Shrimpers a first-half lead, before they were reduced to ten men as Dru Yearwood was given his marching orders.

Ben Reeves’ header drew the South Londoners level fifteen minutes into the second-half, but they were unable to find a winning goal in a dominant second-half thanks to an inspired performance from visiting goalkeeper Nathan Bishop.

Lee Bowyer, still without the suspended Lyle Taylor, experimented with a front-two of winger Mark Marshall and Igor Vetokele. Krystian Bielik dropped into defence to cover for Patrick Bauer, who was serving a one-game ban after his dismissal at Fleetwood last weekend.

The Shrimpers settled better in the opening stages, with Sam Mantom coming close in the opening minute after the ball fell kindly for him inside the Addicks penalty box.

Former Charlton boss Chris Powell receives a warm reception on his return to The Valley with current club Southend. Photo: Paul Edwards

Charlton’s first foray forward ending with Tariqe Fosu lifting over the bar from the edge of the area after Chris Solly laid him off, before Michael Kightly was off-target as he looked to place a left-footed curler into the top-corner of Dillon Phillips’ goal at the other end.

The Essex-outfit did edge ahead midway through the first-period, thanks to a huge slice of luck. Humphrys took aim from 25 yards, with his effort looping off the outstretched leg of defender Naby Sarr and over Phillips before nestling in the back-of-the-net.

The former Fulham man could have had a second as he was sent through on goal moments later, only to stopped in his tracks bizarrely by a whistle in the crowd that appeared to come from within the visiting Southend supporters in the Jimmy Seed Stand.

Southend United’s Stephen Humphreys is mobbed by team mates after scoring their first goal

The reverse fixture at Roots Hall earlier on this campaign saw three red cards dished out and it wasn’t long before we had to do without the full complement of players again.

Yearwood flew into a reckless on Jonny Williams in the middle of the park. Referee Simon Hooper wasted no time in producing a straight red card, but the home side struggled to make their man advantage count before the interval.

Mantom came close to extended the Shrimpers’ lead with a free-kick that ruffled the side-netting before Sarr rifled a shot from 35 yards at the other end that whistled just over Nathan Bishop’s crossbar.


Southend’s Dru Yearwood is shown a straight red card after a heavy challenge on Charlton’s Jonny Williams. Picture: Paul Edwards

Bowyer introduced new signing Josh Parker from the bench at half-time as he switched to a 3-5-2 and it paid off as his side drew level on the hour-mark.

Marshall’s pinpoint cross was met by Reeves, whose header crept over the line via the far-post. The midfielder claimed his third league goal of the campaign.

The home side’s tails were up. Reeves tested Bishop again with a free-kick that the stopper held comfortably, but he soon produced two spectacular saves in the space of a few seconds.

Bielik drew a flying stop from the custodian with an effort from distance, with Bishop then superbly clawing Parker’s header out from the resultant corner.

Southend Goalkeeper Nathan Bishop can only watch on as Ben Reeves’ header creeps in for Charlton. Photo: Paul Edwards

The South Londoners had their opponents hemmed in, forcing corner after corner in front of the Covered End, but were unable to find a second goal.

Michael Klass flashed a shot across the face of Phillips’ goal as we approached the end of normal time, with six minutes of added time then indicated.

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild had been introduced from the bench and his header from Sarr’s deep-cross slipped agonisingly wide – with the Addicks forced to accept just a point.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.




If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Adblocker Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your adblocker, we offer you free stories and only ask for your support in return!

Refresh Page