Charlton Athletic 1 Gillingham 2 – Kent side do the League One double over Addicks

Charlton extended their winless run to seven League One games as Gillingham did the double over the South London club.

Joe Aribo’s second-half header cut the deficit but their Kent opponents defended superbly.

The Addicks had given themselves a mountain to climb as they trailed 2-0 at the break.

Josh Parker and Tom Eaves struck for Gillingham as the hosts struggled to contain the latter.

Charlton were booed off at half-time after a dreadful opening 45 minutes.

They could have been trailing as early as the third minute but Ben Amos made a fine close-range save to deny Eaves, who looked certain to score.

But it was 1-0 on 11 minutes. Eaves had caused Naby Sarr problems from the very start and he turned the young French defender – who initially resorted to shirt-tugging before he got into the box-  and produced a low cross which was drilled in by Josh Parker.

Charlton’s patient approach of passing out from the back had worn thin on the home support – especially as it lacked any penetration. It smacked more of a side who are low on confidence, no-one stepping to the fore to try and make something happen.

Gillingham extended their lead on 33 minutes. Luke O’Neill broke down the right wing and his low cross was met first by Eaves, who prodded past Amos.

It summed up Charlton’s half that Ricky Holmes handled as he looked to spark a counter-attack and conceded a free-kick in shooting distance, O’Neill producing a dipping effort which narrowly went over.

Tomas Holy did not have a major save to make as the hosts laboured.

It was hard to see a comeback materialising with Gillingham stronger, sharper and quicker in the first period.

Charlton manager Karl Robinson made changes as Leon Best and Aribo were introduced for Ben Reeves and Jake Forster-Caskey.

And just 52 seconds in, Josh Magennis headed over a decent ball in from Ricky Holmes, who kept trying to engineer openings.

Best flicked over before a one-two with Aribo saw the striker denied at the near post but he picked up an injury which ended his involvement.

Magennis clipped the top of the bar with a header while a strong Karlan Ahearne-Grant cross just fizzed over the top of Mark Marshall.

Marshall dinked in a delivery which Magennis headed straight at Tomas Holy, who quickly recovered to get a hand to the ball before Ahearne-Grant.

Finally Charlton did cut the deficit. Holmes’ corner was guided home at the near post by Aribo.

The substitute had another opportunity as Magennis nodded the ball down for the young midfielder but his bearings were off as he struck wide of the target.


Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

One thought on “Charlton Athletic 1 Gillingham 2 – Kent side do the League One double over Addicks

  • 1 January 2018 at 19:59

    I have followed CAFC for 60 years and they are now at an all time low in my opinion. I might even start supporting Millwall it is that bad. The owner and the manager will have to go for truly clean start.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *