Charlton Athletic boss admits Wigan duo would have been summer transfer options if he had bigger budget

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Wigan Athletic have only scored in three of their nine matches this season – but Charlton Athletic boss Lee Bowyer reckons goals are hard to come by in the Championship.

The Addicks failed to score for the first time this season when they lost 1-0 at home to Birmingham on Saturday. And they could be without top-scorer Lyle Taylor for around two months with knee ligament damage.

Charlton head to Wigan this weekend – with 860 away tickets sold. Paul Cook’s side won 3-2 on the opening day at home to Cardiff. Since then they have scored in a 3-1 loss at QPR and last weekend’s 2-2 draw at Hull City.

“It’s tough to score in this league – we witnessed that last week,” said Bowyer. “As many chances as you create, people chuck their bodies in front of it. They put their bodies on the line in this division. They are good at it.

“If you do score then you have earned it, nine times out of 10.

“I don’t look too much about how many goals they have scored. They are always going to be a threat. They are good at set-pieces, you don’t have to be good at scoring to score a set-piece.

Preston North End’s Tom Clarke and Wigan Athletic’s Jamal Lowe battle for the ball

“I think again that the first goal is going to be massive, so important. They are a hard-working side and their manager is experienced. He’s got a good group. They went up a couple of years ago and have stayed in the division because they are hard working. We’re going to have to match that, for sure.”

Bowyer admits he would have been in the market for Kieffer Moore and Jamal Lowe this summer if Charlton had been given a significant transfer kitty.

Instead he went shopping in the free market with Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet not looking to increasing spending.

“He [Moore] is one I would take – but we couldn’t afford him,” said Bowyer. “I would have taken the pair of them but they were out of our price range.

“[Lowe] is a good player. He is in a different position now, playing behind the frontmen, and he looks good there. He is good in possession and has got pace. He is definitely going to be one of their main threats.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Cheques should be made payable to “MSI Media Limited” and sent by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online. Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


One thought on “Charlton Athletic boss admits Wigan duo would have been summer transfer options if he had bigger budget

  • 20th September 2019 at 1:58 pm
    Permalink

    I partially agree with what Lee has said. Yes, Wigan are (and so will everyone else) will be a good side but the championship is the hardest league of them all in my opinion and so if you don’t get off to a good start. Team spirits will be low and so will team chemistry.

    Yes, we lost to Birmingham but (as a loyal cafc fan) we know we are always going to be rusty after a International break and after Lyle’s injury, I don’t think we were going to win it. Joshy (Cullen) seemed a bit off when he was playing but we had the chances, just didn’t take them.

    I think the scoreline tomorrow will be Wigan 1 Charlton 2
    Scorers
    Wigan – Jamal Lowe
    Charlton – Have a feeling its going to be Leko and Gallagher. Hemed’s fitness needs to improve

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *