Lee Bowyer is hoping that this is the week he can start building up his Charlton Athletic squad – with Danish businessman Thomas Sandgaard confident he will be in charge by Wednesday.
The wealthy 62-year-old, who is based in Colorado, told the South London Press on Friday that he was awaiting approval from the EFL under the Owners’ and Directors’ Test.
And when an Addicks fans asked Sandgaard over the weekend whether he expected to be in control and in a position to sign players by the middle of this week, he simply replied: ‘Yes.”
The EFL have refused to comment on Sandgaard’s application. The governing body do not tend to discuss the process of any individual.
Paul Elliott is set to appeal the decision not to put a longer-term injunction in place preventing Panorama Magic from selling the football club to any other party – and that is due to start at the Court of Appeal on Thursday.
There have been suggestions that Sandgaard has been able to find a way to essentially unpick things so that he can deal directly with Roland Duchatelet, who still owns The Valley and Sparrows Lane training ground.
But Charlton head into Tuesday’s EFL Cup tie at West Ham United still under a transfer embargo which has been in place since the start of January.
The Addicks have been linked with a move for former Peterborough and Hull City attacker Marcus Maddison, but he is understood not to be on their current signing wish-list.
“I need to strengthen the squad and everyone can recognise that,” said Bowyer.
“The most important thing for me is to start building things behind the scenes so we can have a push.
“It won’t just happen overnight. This is something that is going to take a bit of time because it has gone so far now the other way. Once we bring a few more in on the football side of things we will be a bit stronger.
“We need whatever is going on behind the scenes to get done first and then we can at least start moving forward, then things will look a lot better.”
The EFL count Charlton as having a 23-man squad because they include younger players who have made at least one first-team experience.
Bowyer is confident there is still good additions who are available.
“We’ve missed out on some players but there is still quality out there and there will be quality at the end,” he said.
“It might be like we had to do the last couple of years – we have to be a bit patient. But some teams their squads are too big and some good players will come up at the end and they’ll already have a 23-man squad. We ain’t nowhere near that. The EFL say we are, but we’ll change a lot of that.”
PHOTOS: SEAN GOSLING
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.