Charlton Athletic chief explains why contract talks are on hold

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Lee Bowyer says Charlton cannot open player contract talks until they know what division they will be in next season.

Top-scorer Chuks Aneke and midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey are both due to be free agents at the end of June.

“They are in the same boat as everybody else,” said Addicks boss Bowyer. “We don’t know what division we’re going to be in – it’s difficult to do anything at the moment.

“Once we get nearer to the end of the season we will have more idea of what’s going on. As it stands we’re not doing any contracts.

“Jake has done well this season. He started slowly in pre-season and I gave him a bit of a kick up the backside – pointed a few things out to him.  He responded in the right way, since then he’s been very good.

“Jake is as good as he wants to be when he’s at it. But he has to be at it from the first minute. Sometimes he goes into casual mode and he is a completely different player.”

Aneke bagged his 13th goal of the season in Tuesday’s 1-0 victory at Wigan Athletic. Asked if he expected Championship interested in the 27-year-old, Bowyer replied: “That’s something we can’t control. Chuks is another one who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals.

“From what I understand he has got the best goals-per-minutes in the division, maybe even all the divisions.

“I think there will be interest in Chuks. Everyone wants a striker. If we go up I’m guessing he would stay with us. He likes it with us. He is another we have got the best out of, so I couldn’t see why he’d leave if we went up.”

PHOTO: PAUL EDWARDS

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


One thought on “Charlton Athletic chief explains why contract talks are on hold

  • 5 March 2021 at 09:33
    Permalink

    Never say never, but, even as an ardent Charlton fan for nearly 60 years, I cannot see Lee Bowyer performing the miracle he achieved in 2019 again. I think we will have to get used to being in League 0ne for another season, there are too many good teams competing for promotion this season in League one. However, i can only hope !!

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Stephen Morley Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *