Charlton Athletic owner determined to keep hold of Celtic target – but admits Bonne deal to QPR could be on

BY RICHARD CAWLEY
richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Charlton Athletic owner Thomas Sandgaard has spelled out his desire to keep Alfie Doughty – with Celtic running out of time to get a deal done for the winger.

The Scottish transfer window closes on Monday and the SPL champions have already had two bids rejected for the 20-year-old.

Celtic are expected to go as high as seven figures with a final offer for Doughty, who is out of contract at the end of June.

But Charlton look set to stand firm and resist any bids for their academy product.

The Danish businessman, who took control of the League One club a week ago, is flying into the UK this morning. Charlton would only get compensation for Doughty if he ran down his terms – with that figure reduced if he makes a cross-border switch.

“I spoke very early on with Lee Bowyer [manager] and Steve Gallen [director of football] about that situation,” Sandgaard told the South London Press on Wednesday. “Someone with that kind of talent we want to keep here.

“We don’t want to keep decimating the team just to pay a few more bills.

Charlton Athletic’s Macauley Bonne during the Carabao Cup second round match at the London Stadium.

“I think you’ll start seeing the difference to what you saw in the spring [when East Street Investments ran the club]. Under the old ownership that would have been an immediate sale. We see Alfie as someone we can build on. He’s still got a lot of things he can improve on over the next season or two to become a really, really high quality player and help take us further.”

Sandgaard’s arrival has lifted the transfer embargo and the South Londoners will bring in two frontmen if Macauley Bonne departs.

The 24-year-old only cost £200,000 from Leyton Orient in June 2019 and QPR were pushing to conclude a deal yesterday.

Charlton had already knocked back seven-figure offers for Bonne.

“The offer from QPR – that is interesting,” said Sandgaard. “If they come up enough with the price then it’s obviously something we need to consider.

“At some point it can’t be all about building a team – we’ve just got to be smart.

“We’ll see how that plays out. Stability in the team is important and that started several weeks ago with Alfie Doughty [not cashing in].”

Charlton signed playmaker Marcus Maddison on a one-year contract with the option of another 12 months.

Maddison, 27, was a free agent after leaving Hull City.

He has scored 52 goals in 212 League One matches – along with 76 assists.


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


One thought on “Charlton Athletic owner determined to keep hold of Celtic target – but admits Bonne deal to QPR could be on

  • 2 October 2020 at 10:55 am
    Permalink

    Not sure about Bonne. When I have seen him play, I have not been over impressed with him. He has missed chances at crucial times in a game and whilst I do not blame one man for any losses as a result, it is, after all, his job to score goals. Against Doncaster, a game I attended, he was poor. However, I do take into account, that he came from a then non-league team and was thrust into playing in the Championship probably before he was really ready. If he moves on, then I’m sure we will not have heard the last of him, as it is always possible that another management team may be able to improve him. If he does go, then Charlton will certainly have to import a good striker to go alongside Washington before the transfer window closes.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *