BY RICHARD CAWLEY
Charlton Athletic owner Roland Duchatelet has told staff that they will not be receiving bonuses – because of the heavy financial losses that the League One club are making.
The Addicks have made a number of cost-saving moves in recent months as takeover talks have failed to reach a fruition.
As well as Ezri Konsa, Harry Lennon and Josh Magennis being sold – to Brentford, Southend and Bolton respectively – a number of other measures are being followed to try and cut the financial outlay.
And the latest development is that bonuses due to staff who hit targets in their roles, believed to be worth in the region of five or 10 per cent of their salary, will not be paid.
Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet [CARD] are expected to step up protest plans for Saturday’s home game against Fleetwood Town.
And Charlton staff were also thought to be holding their own meeting this afternoon following developments, with a statement also likely at some stage today.
The South London Press had asked for a comment from Charlton Athletic yesterday but was told that no public statement would be issued until employees had been updated.
That happened this morning, with an email from Duchatelet explaining that stringent attempts to slash the budget will continue.
The Belgian also said he “could not put a timeline on how long the takeover will take”. He also added that the aim was “to make costs more bearable for any potential owner”.
A Charlton Athletic statement said: “Since Roland Duchatelet took over Charlton 4½ years ago, every employee has been paid on time, every month. This will not change.
“The club will continue to fulfil contractual obligations.
“The club had a very bad financial year last season and because of this the club will not be paying incentivised bonuses.
“Before we can look at bonuses in the future, we need to restore the club’s financial health.”
That was actually a section of the email from Duchatelet.
“The club makes a very significant operating loss every month which is out of proportion with the occasional player sales revenue intended to offset these operating losses. Various parties interested in taking over have been put off by the high running costs. This is a matter of restoring the financial health of the club, which had got out of control for a League One club.
“At the moment there are no plans for redundancies, but we will let you know if that situation does change.
“I am grateful for the changes you have made so far, and if you have any further ideas on where we should review our efficiencies then do let your line manager know.”
IMAGE BY KEITH GILLARD
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ