Charlton boss explains plan for promising teenage defender

Charlie Barker is set to step up to U23 level this season – with Charlton manager Lee Bowyer full of praise for the 17-year-old centre-back.

A dearth of options in the middle of defence has seen the teenager start in Saturday’s EFL Cup win at Swindon Town and last week’s EFL Trophy tie at AFC Wimbledon.

Charlton are missing club captain Jason Pearce (knee) and saw Tom Lockyer recently quit for Luton Town. Naby Sarr was released at the end of last season.

“Charlie has done well but we will make signings,” said Bowyer on Monday morning. “I think his next step would probably be to go to play for the U23s – not the U18s.

“He needs to go and play against young men, if you like, and go and develop. That’s not anything against him – it’s not like he’s done anything wrong.

“He’s done exceptionally well. I can’t praise him enough but at the same time it would be a different game week in and week out. He will dip in and out with us, he’ll train with us here and there.”

PICTURE: KYLE ANDREWS


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *