Chelmsford City 1 Welling United 1 – Wings forced to settle for point


Welling United were frustrated by a last-minute equaliser.

Before the game started, most of the Welling supporters would probably have been content with a point but having gone ahead so late in the game it was disappointing that Welling couldn’t see the game out.

There were few clear cut chances in the first half but Chelmsford probably had the better of the period. However, after the break Welling created the better opportunities as they executed their game plan to perfection.

Having picked up an injury during the week, influential midfielder Luke Rooney had to miss out, and with the unlucky Jack Jebb unavailable with yet another injury, Montel Agyemang came in for his first appearance of the season.

Bradley Goldberg was sent away by Anthony Cook early on but he was brought down cynically on the edge of the penalty area and Adam Coombes fired the free kick over.

Dan Wilks then lost his bearings and handled outside the penalty and was relieved to be shown a yellow card with the home supporters demanding a dismissal. Sam Higgins took the free kick but drove it straight into the arms of the Welling goalkeeper.

Wilks saved from Higgins before the influential Connor Dymond went down and had to be carried off with on a stretcher with a dislocated shoulder. Reece Prestedge came on for his Welling debut.


After the interval Jonny Giles fired over before Welling started to open up the Chelmsford defence. Sanchez Ming went on a marauding run before finding Coombes in the space that was created by Goldberg’s intelligent decoy run. Coombes let fly but Carl Pentney made a superb save.

Coombes then got on the end of a Welling move that involved all their outfield players but Pentney saved his low shot well.

Once more, Welling cut through the Chelmsford defence when Goldberg found Coombes but his twenty yard effort clattered the crossbar but went over.

Next to get in behind was substitute Aaron Cosgrave but he was also frustrated by Clarets goalkeeper Pentney made another outstanding save.

Jeffers came on for Chelmsford and caused the Welling defence different problems. After firing over, he had a header tipped over by Wilks, before heading on Chris Whelpdale’s and clipping the bar on the way over.

Six minutes remained when Welling broke the deadlock. Nathan Green split Chelmsford’s defence with a slide-rule pass that put Goldberg away and this time Pentney was helpless to keep out his precise finish.

However, Chelmsford levelled when a blocked shot fell to Jeffers who prodded home.

Although it was a disappointing end for Welling, it was still a good point to take into their Bank Holiday Monday fixture with Tonbridge Angels.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond (Prestedge 45), Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cook (Cosgrave 68), Agyemang, Goldberg, Coombes, McCallum (Green 57). Subs not used: Okosieme, Oyinsan.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *