BY RICHARD CAWLEY
Chris Powell will face Charlton Athletic on Saturday – and admits he expected Roland Duchatelet’s reign in charge to be over by now.
The Southend United manager is an Addicks legend after achieving promotion both as a player and a boss while in SE7.
And Duchatelet put himself on an early collision course with supporters when he sacked Powell in March 2014.
Since then relations have only got more strained between the Belgian tycoon and a large section of the Charlton support. They have continually protested for Duchatelet to sell up.
He has been in takeover talks for a number of months but there are now serious doubts over the credibility of the Australian-backed consortium’s bid for the club which has stretched back for comfortably over a year.
Duchatelet’s price tag for the League One club makes it harder for interested parties to strike a deal. Relegation from the Championship has seen crowds massively drop off, a host of prize talent sold on to higher levels and stringent cost-cutting measures being implemented.
“Without knowing any of the actual financial details, I thought the club would have been under new ownership by now,” said Powell, who was Charlton manager when they won the 2012 League One title.
“It has been no secret, with regards to Duchatelet trying to move on and there has been talk of all different consortiums. I thought new ownership would move the club forward and get everyone harmonious again. It hasn’t happened for whatever reason – whether that is price or people saying they are interested and haven’t been able to get it all together. Who knows? But it is not beneficial because the not only the short-term health but the long-term health of the club is at stake.
“Everyone wants results as soon as possible.
“It certainly needs it. If no-one is willing to pay the money the ownership won’t change until that happens. Sadly for everyone connected to Charlton it is a waiting game. It isn’t great for everyone.”
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ