Club produce fine display to defeat National League One leaders

Caldy 17 Blackheath 25

A superb performance, and deserved victory, to topple the National League One leaders and keep Blackheath’s challenge at the head of the table firmly alive.

In a tight game each side scored three tries but the visitors kept their noses in front, bar a five-minute spell early in the second period, and mounted a staunch defence to see themselves to a fourth successive win.

Jake Lloyd

Blackheath were led by the inspirational Markus Burcham who captained the club for the 100th time – 99 of them consecutive. He had a fine match in the midfield and was heavily involved in the attack straight from the kick-off which demonstrated Blackheath’s intent and took the visitors close, only for Caldy to turn over ball at the first scrum.  But as a strong break from Henry Staff resulted in the outside-centre being held up across the goal-line, the ensuing set-piece saw ball spun across field for Jake Lloyd to pop ball inside for Nick Foster to score the opening try.

Henry Staff

Elliot Clements-Hill added the conversion and a further three points as Caldy came up off-side, but a penalty at the other end saw the Cheshire side opt for a scrum from which tight-head Derek Salisbury drove across, reducing the hosts’ deficit to 10-7.

Great work again by Burcham, allied to Neale Patrick making good yardage, enabled Mark Cooke to send Staff powering across in the left corner, despite a slight juggle with the ball.

Mark Cooke

Caldy responded again as phases of line-out ball opened up space for left-wing Luke Hibberd to cross, leaving the score 15-12 at the break in favour of the visitors.

Caldy had their best period of the match around the interval. A needless forward pass put Blackheath under pressure, the hosts again benefitted from the option of a scrum from a penalty, this time hooker Ted Stagg driving over for the score.

With a two-point deficit and Craig Dowsett in the sin-bin, Blackheath might have begun to flounder. But a Cooke penalty restored the lead before, on 54 minutes, the decisive moment came as Caldy allowed the ball to fall loose, and Foster pounced, the full-back sprinting 40-metres and under the uprights.

Another Cooke penalty struck the post, and two attacking line-outs which might have enabled the visitors to move out of sight went wayward in the stiff breeze.

Blackheath return to Well Hall on Saturday to take on newly-promoted Sale FC (2 pm kick-off).


Tries:   Salisbury, Hibberd, Stagg

Conv:  Jones


Tries:   Foster 2, Staff

Conv:  Clements-Hill, Cooke

Pens: Clements-Hill, Cooke


Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *