Commuter jailed for 18 weeks for spitting in face of bus driver

A commuter who spat in a bus driver’s face when she refused to let him on at traffic lights has been jailed for 18 weeks.

Kevin Simpson, 45, of Brockley Road, Lewisham, was identified when the driver used her ‘spit kit’ to take a sample of his saliva and give it to police, when the country was in the grip of lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak.

He was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison after pleading guilty to one offence of Actual Bodily Harm (ABH) at London Magistrates Court on August 18.

Police Constable David Holmes, from the City of London Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID), said: “This sentence reflects the severity of a crime that could have been significantly more harmful had Simpson been infected with coronavirus when the attack took place.

“Thanks to the driver’s mindfulness to get a sample of Simpson’s saliva, despite just being victim of such a horrible act, we were able to identify and arrest him.

“Nobody should have to be afraid of being assaulted whilst they go about their job, especially in such a disgusting manner, at a time when fears are heightened and the need to safeguard our personal health has never been greater.

“Concerns around protecting ourselves and our key workers from coronavirus are at the forefront of everyone’s minds right now, and rightly so.

“We want to reassure the public that we are taking instances such as this extremely seriously and bringing the perpetrators of these crimes to justice.”

On Wednesday, May 13 at around 4.30am Simpson approached the open driver’s window of the N11 bus, while it was stationary at the Ludgate Circus traffic lights, and asked the driver to open the doors.

“When the driver explained she could not do this at traffic lights as it was unsafe, and suggested Simpson walk to the next bus stop where she could pick him up, Simpson put his head through the open window and spat in her face.

The driver managed to close the window, after which Simpson spat again at the window itself.

Following this, the driver used her on-board ‘spit kit’ to take a sample of the saliva, which was then used by City of London Police officers to identify Simpson, eventually leading to his arrest.

Officers from the City of London Police visited Simpson’s address on June 5 but he was not at home.

Simpson handed himself in the next day at Bishopsgate police station knowing he was wanted by police.

Pictured top: An N11 bus (not the one in the incident)

Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *