Cosmetic surgery is closed for breaches

A cosmetic surgery has been forced to shut down for three months after its owner was found washing dirty sheets used in surgeries at their home, writes Jacob Phillips, Local Democracy Reporter.

Staff at the Westminster-based Lara Clinic were found to have not completed mandatory training, the surgery had no means of disposing of ‘suction contents’ or safely cleaning equipment used in surgeries.

The surgery provides nose and breast implant operations, as well as botox and filler injections.

But it was found to be washing dirty sheets used in surgeries at the owner’s home. The owner is also a surgeon at the business.

Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspectors found the surgery had not been conducting any risk assessments before surgeries when it visited on May 25.

Staff had not considered the risks of general anaesthesia treatments and there was nothing in place to prevent surgical infections.

A second inspection on July 22 revealed changes had not been made and the site was forced to close.

It was also found there was no space for mop buckets to be emptied and the surgery’s defibrillator did not work and had not been replaced.

The CQC’s report, published on September 20, said: “At the previous inspection the service did not keep accurate or complete records regarding qualifications, skills, training and experience of medical staff employed through practicing privileges this meant we were not assured patients were safe from avoidable harm.

“Staff did not keep records to show what medicines the service held and their quantity. Staff also did not conduct regular checks on the medicines you held to check if they were safe for use.”

The CQC also found no evidence that medical checks had been taking place at the surgery.

The Lara Clinic was given an urgent notice of suspension for eight weeks from May 28 before being closed for a further month after a second inspection found the appropriate changes had not been made.

The Lara Clinic has been contacted for comment.

 

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *