BY MARCUS HOOK
Surrey’s four-day clash with Durham, due to get underway at Chester-le-Street yesterday, has been cancelled following a case of Covid-19, prompting confusion over how the covid protocols are being applied to County Championship fixtures by the England and Wales Cricket Board.
In July, Kent had to call up an entirely new squad, in similar circumstances, on the eve of their championship match against Sussex at Canterbury.
In a statement, the ECB said a “significant number” of Surrey squad members had been deemed close contacts, adding: “The player has begun to self-isolate along with a significant number of the Surrey squad who have been identified as close contacts
“Due to the required isolation protocols and the extensive impact on Surrey’s available playing squad, reluctantly the decision has been made that the match will not go ahead.”
The ECB is yet to make a decision on how points for the fixture will be awarded. It also remains to be seen whether Surrey’s next game, at Northampton (September 5-8) will be similarly affected.
Surrey have announced that Sussex and England fast bowler Chris Jordan will be returning to the Oval next season as Surrey’s T20 captain.
Jordan, 32, who made his professional debut for the South Londoners in 2007 before going on to make 68 appearances for the Oval outfit in all competitions, has announced that he will be parting company with Sussex after nine summers on the south coast.
Jordan has recently played a vital role in Southern Brave’s triumph in the inaugural The Hundred competition, as well as helping Sussex reach Vitality Blast Finals Day.
Surrey’s director of cricket Alec Stewart said: “I first saw him when he was at Dulwich College as a 16-year-old and his obvious talent was there to see then – therefore I’m delighted to welcome CJ back to Surrey, his first home in county cricket.
“He has worked tirelessly at his game to get himself to the point now where he is regarded as one of the finest death bowlers in the world.
“His skill and work ethic, coupled with vast experience at the international and franchise level means I’m very confident he will contribute in a big way both on and off the field.”
Jordan added: “I am extremely pleased to be returning to the place where it all started for me at the age of 17. I return having evolved not only as a cricketer but a person and I’m looking forward to continuing that evolution.
“I am honoured to be entrusted with leading the T20 team over the next few years and playing a part in helping the club win trophies. There is an enormous amount of talent in the dressing room and I can’t wait to get started.”
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.