Crystal Palace 3 Aston Villa 2 – Tyrick Mitchell strikes as Eagles end wait for Selhurst Park win

Tyrick Mitchell scored the winner as a spirited second-half performance from Roy Hodgson’s side saw the Eagles come from 2-1 down to claim all three points at Selhurst Park.

The South Londoners have not won a home game since the 1-0 win over West Bromwich Albion in March, but Roy Hodgson’s side started the game brightly.

Andros Townsend whipped in a pinpoint cross for Christain Benteke but the Belgian forward failed to keep his header below Emiliano Martinez’s bar.

But Villa fought back. Anwar El Ghazi sent a low cross into the Palace area, and after the Eagles failed to clear away the danger, the ball fell to Ollie Watkins, who forced a smart save from Jack Butland. Butland was making his first Premier League start for the South Londoners.

John McGinn opened the scoring just moments later. Ahmed Elmohamady’s cross was only half-cleared to McGinn on the edge of the box. The Scottish midfielder swept a first time shot past Butland into the far right-hand corner, giving Dean Smith’s side the early lead.

Palace had a flurry of chances through Gary Cahill and Jeffrey Schlupp, but neither opportunity would cause Martinez trouble.

Palace soon started to find their attacking intent through Wilfried Zaha and Eberechi Eze, who were linking up well on the left-hand side.

It did not take long for Palace to find the equaliser.

Mitchell clipped a cross delicately for the waiting Benteke at the back post. The Belgian peeled away from Kourtney Hause and planted a header out of Martinez’s reach – taking his tally to nine for the season.

Villa retook the lead just two minutes later.

McGinn was given space down the left to drive towards goal. He swung a cross into the box, which was cleared high into the air by Cheikhou Kouyate. The ball was eventually brought down by Watkins, who set up El Ghazi – drilling a shot underneath Butland to restore Villa’s lead.

Palace started the second half the brighter of the two sides.

A corner sent in from Townsend was met by Benteke. The 30-year-old guided a header towards goal – only to see to goalbound effort thwarted by a combination of Martinez and the bar.

Eze then glided through the Villa defence – only to see his effort from the edge of the box headed away by Hause.

After several missed chances, Palace finally brought themselves level through Wilfried Zaha.

The Ivorian picked the ball up out on the left and darted through the heart of the Villa defence. After Ezri Konsa back away and invited Zaha toward goal, his deflected shot bewildered Martinez and rolled into the back of the net.

Full of confidence, Palace pushed for the winner.

The Eagles took the lead for the first time in the match in the 85th minute.

Zaha drilled a cross into the box, which was only half-cleared by Hause. The ball fell to Eze, who swept a shot back into the box for a sea of red and blue shirts. It fell to the unlikely Mitchell – who turned home the winner with his chest, sending the limited number of people at Selhurst Park into pandemonium.

It was the first time Crystal Palace had come from behind in the Premier League in 33 attempts.



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *