Daniel Dubois happy to travel to land shot at WBA world heavyweight champion

Daniel Dubois wants to face WBA world heavyweight champion Trevor Bryan.

The South Londoner (17-1) is the number one challenger to the unbeaten American (21-0).

Oleksandr Usyk is the WBA’s ‘Super’ world champion and is due to rematch Anthony Joshua in the first half of 2022.

Greenwich’s Dubois will box in March and his promoter Frank Warren is hoping that can be against Bryan. The New Yorker, 32, won his belt with an 11th-round stoppage of Bermane Stiverne a year ago and has not fought since.

Dubois is happy to travel for his shot at Bryan.

He said: “It has got to happen this year and I am more than ready, whether it is in England or the US. I want to get my hands on that title and bring it home.

“I’ve checked him out, of course, and he is not that impressive to watch. I just see somebody standing in my way if we get it on. Fingers crossed, we will. I can definitely knock him out and everyone knows I only fight one way.

Dubois has had two easy and quick wins over limited opposition – Bogdan Dinu and Joe Cusumanu – since quitting in the 10th round against Joe Joyce in November 2020.

The purse bids for Dillian Whyte’s huge heavyweight showdown with Tyson Fury have been delayed until next week.

The WBC had ordered that champion Fury received an 80-20 split of the pot. Whyte and his promoter Eddie Hearn have appealed against the ruling.

The purse bid, where the promoter who lodges the highest offer stages the bout, had been due to take place on Tuesday of this week.

Brixton’s Whyte had been looking for a 55-45 split.

The 34-year-old has not boxed since knocking out Alexander Povetkin in March.

Whyte’s inactivity could be a factor as he has had only two rings outings since the start of 2020, both against Povetkin.

PICTURE: QUEENSBERRY PROMOTIONS

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *