Daniel Dubois ready to roll the dice as he agrees to high stakes clash with Joe Joyce

BY RICHARD CAWLEY
richard@slpmedia.co.uk

Daniel Dubois is a man in a hurry in the heavyweight division – and his next ring assignment on April 11 will give the best indicator yet of his potential.

The Greenwich heavyweight will be on home turf when he faces Joe Joyce in a clash of two undefeated British boxers at the 02 Arena.

Dubois, 22, has taken the bout against the Olympic silver medallist despite the fact he has plenty more time on his side to dominate the division.

Joyce is 34, switching over far later to the paid ranks after a successful spell with GB which saw him mix it with the best in the amateur game.

There is no disputing that Dubois faces his biggest test yet.

The best victory of his career was a brutal dismantling of fellow prospect Nathan Gorman in July 2019 to emphatically claim the vacant British title.

Since then he has breezed to quick wins over Ebenezer Tetteh and Kyotaro Fujimoto to win three more belts – the Commonwealth, WBO International and WBC Silver.

Dubois-Joyce will be on BT Box Office – the first time that either man has had star billing on a pay-per-view event.

Promoter Frank Warren told iFL TV: “That’s how we got it [done] – it’s a very expensive fight. They are stepping up very early in their careers. This is a proper, meaningful fight and they are going to get well paid for it.”

Dubois seems keen to ratchet up the difficulty level with Joyce a similar type of fighter in many respects – strong, powerful and never willing to take a backward step. It should be a cracker.

“If you are going to be in it then you have got to be in it to win it,” said the South Londoner (14-0). “If you want to be the man you have got to beat the man.

“That’s exactly my approach. Joe Joyce has great credentials and is a tough cookie – but I’m tougher. I’ll prove I’m the better fighter.”

Joyce and his manager Sam Jones have questioned the quality of some of Dubois’ opponents.

“It was needless to bring it up,” responded Dubois. “If you look at some of the guys he has fought they were complete losers.

“Every fighter who is up and coming has knockover jobs. This is a real fight and it is going to be great while it lasts.”

Joyce (10-0) had been looking to challenge for the European title until negotiations with Marco Huck collapsed.

“He [Dubois] is going to try and bomb me out in the first round,” said Joyce, a former amateur for Earlsfield ABC.  “I’ll have to take a few licks, but I’ll give them back later on. He’s going to wake up with lots of lumps all over him.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *