BY RICHARD CAWLEY
Daniel Dubois’ hotly-anticipated domestic showdown with Joe Joyce has been pushed back to July 11 – just another sporting event which was been affected by the coronavirus outbreak.
Greenwich heavyweight Dubois is looking to add the European title to his collection of belts and was due to take on Joyce on home turf at the 02 Arena on April 11.
But Queensbury Promotions – who are putting the show on – issued a statement earlier this week.
They said: “Following the guidelines and advisory measures announced by both the government and the British Boxing Board of Control, Queensberry Promotions feel it would be inappropriate to proceed with any forthcoming boxing promotions in front of live audiences during April and May.
“The coronavirus situation is evolving rapidly and we will continue to follow the government’s guidelines to ensure the health and safety of the paying public, staff and the participants.
“The ‘Seek and Destroy’ Event being headlined by Daniel Dubois v Joe Joyce on April 11 at the O2 Arena has now been rescheduled to Saturday July 11, still at the O2 Arena. Tickets will remain valid for the new date, however people who cannot attend the new date can obtain a refund from their original point of purchase.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.