BY RICHARD CAWLEY
Daniel Dubois will take on Nathan Gorman for the British heavyweight title at Greenwich’s 02 Arena on July 13.
It is a clash of two unbeaten prospects.
Greenwich’s Dubois is 21 while his opponent is a year older.
The British Boxing Board of Control had ordered Dubois to face Joe Joyce for the vacant domestic belt but the Putney man instead will feature on the undercard.
Dubois said: “Whoever is put in front of me I have to go through them and that is what I have done so far.
“As I proved in my last fight, I want to bring excitement to the heavyweight division for the fans and I promise it will be another explosive night on July 13.
“I am very confident that I can knock anyone in the world out right now.”
“I would have fought Joe Joyce and now I will fight Gorman. I am confident in my own ability that I can deal with everyone out there and I’ve got what it takes to beat them.
“I believe I am way ahead and better than Gorman and on fight night I will prove it.
“There is no way he will stop me. I accepted this fight straight away and when Frank [Warren, promoter] told me about it, it was on.”
Gorman said: “I am very surprised, to be fair
“I was probably expecting it to be next year – in the summer time probably – and that is what I thought. When the phone call came it took me only a matter of seconds to say yes so it is nearly here now and only a couple of months away.
“I’m over the moon we’ve got the fight on. Fair play to Daniel, I didn’t think he would have accepted it, but he is obviously as keen as I am to fight. There should be plenty of excitement and a I’m sure the fans will love it.
“I can’t see it going 12 rounds and the plan is to go in there and stop him. The winner out of me and Daniel will proceed onto world honours, I’d imagine. The British title will propel you to the world stage.
“It is good for the fans to see the best prospects like me and Daniel fight each other. You can overcook a fight and I think we have now got it at the right time, I really do.
“Me or him didn’t have to take this fight, but why not? I believe it is the right time to make this fight.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Cheques should be made payable to “MSI Media Limited” and sent by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online. Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Get the latest local news delivered every week!