Steve Gallen and Lee Bowyer are set to see transfer dealings controlled by Dave Jones if the 63-year-old is brought in at Charlton Athletic by East Street Investments.
The South London Press has been told that Jones – who formerly managed Stockport, Southampton, Wolves, Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday – would be in charge of the footballing side of the League One club.
It would see him positioned above Gallen, who is the Addicks’ director of football, and boss Bowyer.
Charlton are still in negotiations with the EFL in the hope they can complete deals for Hearts striker Conor Washington and Milton Keynes midfielder Alex Gilbey.
But it is understood that Jones was not keen on signing the duo.
The question is who controls any appointments and makes key decisions at Charlton Athletic after the EFL announced on Friday that they had rejected three individuals put forward by ESI for the owners’ and directors’ test.
Paul Elliott was announced as the new owner of ESI in June. But ever since the original incarnation of ESI bought the football club off Roland Duchatelet at the start of January they have failed to get full approval from the EFL for their takeover.
Charlton had been under a registration embargo since the start of 2020 and the restrictions have been ramped up as they saw their transfers for Washington and Gilbey knocked back by the governing body.
ESI say they have filed appeals on behalf of two of the individuals who were declined by the EFL.
A group of Charlton fans stormed Farnell’s Manchester office on Friday and filmed the incident – with Jones in the same room at the time.
“At its meeting earlier this week, the EFL board was asked to consider Owners’ and Directors’ Test (OADT) applications lodged by Charlton Athletic in respect of a number of different individuals,” said the EFL on Friday.
“Following a full and comprehensive appraisal of all the relevant matters the board determined that three individuals were subject to a disqualifying condition and the EFL declined to approve their applications. Those individuals have 14 days to appeal the decision.
“The EFL continues to consider applications from other individuals under the OADT.”
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ