Dillian Whyte ensured his 2019 ended on a positive note – but the Brixton fighter lashed out at UK Anti-Doping for pushing him to the brink of retirement.The South London heavyweight, 31, won a unanimous points decision over Mariusz Wach in Saudi Arabia on Saturday night on the undercard of the Anthony Joshua-Andy Ruiz Jr rematch.
Whyte had not fought since June but UKAD announced on Friday that they had withdrawn an anti-doping charge.
“I knew I was innocent anyway,” said Whyte. “I wasn’t relieved [at UKAD’s announcement] – I was just angry.
“They put me through hell to prove what I already knew.
“Anyone with sense knew I was innocent – apart from the haters.
“I’ve had 40 drug tests this year alone – and passed them all. If you have steroids in your system, they stay there for six months.
“All the haters thought I was guilty and now they are coming around – f*** all you guys.
“I went from being the man, the number one and mandatory challenger who beat Oscar Rivas, who nobody wanted to fight. We lost 17 kilos in 12 weeks – pushed ourselves to the limit.
“I’m just trying to get paid, win world titles and leave this b**** with my senses left intact.
“I’m enraged. People in the industry tried to destroy me? Why? I’m the guy who fights anyone. I’m the guy who entertains. I’m the guy who takes a fight at three weeks’ notice – no complaint.
“I’m the guy who no matter what s*** is going on in my life I show up and fight. I give back to my community.
“I fought the hard way to be mandatory [challenger for the WBC world title].”
Whyte won by scores of 97-93 (twice) and 98-93 in Dirayh.
He was a late addition to the show – which saw Joshua win back his world heavyweight titles.
Whyte moved to 27-1 but was expected to inflict an inside-the-distance win on Wach (35-6),who had been stopped by Alexander Povetkin, Jarrell Miller and Martin Bakole.
“I felt rusty – a bit out of touch,” said Whyte. “You know I’m way better than that. The last few months have been a real dark place. Even though I’ve been down and struggling, I’ve been smiling and trying to keep everyone’s spirits up.
“The guys kept me together when I felt like giving up. I’ve got a great coaching team, a great physio team and great guys behind the scene.
“I’m sure Mark [Tibbs, coach] knew I was in decent condition but that I wasn’t where I should be. It’s only the top five guys I need to be in premium shape to beat. Wach’s no chump – he’s tough. I could’ve stopped him a few times but any fighter who has been out of the ring for a long time will tell you that you always feel like you’re a second away, a second away – that second and third shot isn’t quite as smooth.
“I was rusty as hell – I came in two stone over my fight weight. When was the last time you saw me come in 19 stone-plus? I’m usually 17 stone 10, 17 stone eight.”
Whyte had won the WBC interim world title when he outpointed Rivas at Greenwich’s 02 Arena – a placatory move by the governing body due to the fact that regulation belt-holder Deontay Wilder had not faced his mandatory challenger.
But the WBC stripped Whyte of that title after UKAD’s charge.
“They took my mandatory and title away,” said Whyte. “They should give me my s*** back.
“I thought about walking away.”
PICTURE BY MARK ROBINSON/MATCHROOM BOXING
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.