The EFL have issued a statement this evening which outlines they still require “outstanding information” from East Street Investments – and that they want to schedule a meeting with Charlton Athletic’s owners.
ESI have been running the club since the start of January but had not provided source and sufficiency of funding along with passing the owners’ and directors’ test. Their takeover has not been approved by the EFL, who placed the Addicks under a registration embargo in terms of signing players from the start of 2020 – that remains in place.
ESI released a statement saying that Paul Elliott had bought ESI in June but Companies House still lists the previous directors – Tahnoon Nimer, Claudiu Florica, Andrei Mihail, Marian Mihail and lawyer Chris Farnell.
“The EFL has today written to Charlton Athletic requesting further information and a meeting with the club, the current majority owner of ESI and also the proposed new owners, as it seeks to clarify the ongoing ownership issues at the club in the context of the EFL regulations.
“The league is aware of the frustrations and concerns the current situation is having on all those associated with the club, including staff, players and supporters, particularly in recent weeks whilst it has attempted to try and work through the various and complex challenges out of the public eye.
“Extensive correspondence has been exchanged with the club in respect of outstanding information that is still required to be submitted to the EFL and the league will continue to work with the club.
“However, it remains the responsibility of the club and any prospective owner(s) to demonstrate that the requirements of the EFL regulations are met. The club is aware of the consequences of not meeting those requirements.
“The league will not provide a running commentary on this matter but will update as appropriate.”
Andrew Barclay is keen to buy Charlton – relegated to League One last week – but also wants to acquire The Valley and Sparrows Lane training ground off Roland Duchatelet.
But so far the Belgian is understood to have shut down any attempts at negotiations, maintaining he already has a deal in place with ESI – who paid £1 for the football club with a £50million deal needing to be completed by 2025 which would see them acquire the stadium and training ground.
Barclay – in reference to the EFL statement – tweeted: “Running commentary ? How about any commentary….just one, could even be one sentence, maybe even just a quiet grunt or something to let us know you exist.”
A statement on Charlton’s website said: “The club expected the change in ownership control to be approved this week and the transfer embargo lifted, in order that work can begin on the squad for next season.
“Throughout the extensive communication with the league, the club has received numerous requests for information from the EFL and provided responses to the league as soon as it has been requested.
“Getting the change of ownership approved is the top priority of everyone at the club and there is no delay on the part of the club.
“The club will be in touch with the league on Tuesday morning with aim of getting this process concluded.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.