Two pub owners have been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in their premises in Forest Hill.
Asa Holmes, 49, and Monika Luckasova, 42, were taken to Lewisham Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after escaping from a fire in the Bird in Hand Pub in Dartmouth Road.
Mr Holmes was reportedly pulled out of the burning building by a passerby.
Eight fire engines, ambulances and police vehicles have attended the fire.
Sioux Bloomer, 56, of Sydenham Park Road, saw smoke coming from the pub as she was on her way to the station.
She told the South London Press: “By the time I got to the pub there was smoke coming out of all the windows.”
The owners, who live above the pub, were in the building when the fire started.
Ms Bloomer added: “Monica had got out of the exit door and was shouting that Asa was still up there and a young man of about 30 who is a regular from the pub went in there and pulled him out before the fire brigade turned up.
“They are both on oxygen now and on their way to Lewisham hospital. I’ve been told have both suffered from smoke inhalation but no injuries.”
The road is currently closed to traffic but open for pedestrians.
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.