End of the road for Chelsea’s Conte?

Antonio Conte is expected to be sacked this week.
It will end the Italian’s two years at the Stamford Bridge helm. He won the Premier League in his first season and the FA Cup, on
Saturday, in his second.

The Italian has one year left on his deal but that is expected to account for nothing other than a £9million pay-off.
Chelsea’s Eden Hazard scored the only goal, a penalty, that downed Manchester United to lift the FA Cup. Hazard was quick to challenge the club’s board to match the ambitions of the top players and Conte.

He said: “All of the players and the club want one thing and that’s to win the title. Of course we will see if we can bring in some new players, it’s part of the job. But we will be focused on winning the title, that’s it.”

It was the first time the Belgian had won the FA Cup.
“It’s a good feeling, especially as we lost the final last year,” he said. “You saw the celebrations afterwards with the fans, this trophy means a lot to them and to us. I think the only players who have won this from the current squad before are David Luiz and Gary Cahill. We are all happy, you
saw that afterwards. The season wasn’t top, top, but we finished well and we are happy.”

FA Cup Final – Chelsea v Man Utd. – 19/05/18.
© Joe Manez – All Rights Reserved.

Of Conte’s future at Chelsea, he said: “We will see, it doesn’t depend on me. We won together.”
Hazard is not talking to Chelsea about a new contract but said that could all change.

He said: “At the moment I am at Chelsea and have two years left on my contract,” he said.
“It is what I have been saying every week. I am focused on the World Cup now and then we will see.”

Hazard started the season with a fractured ankle – has he overachieved given it was his first major injury?
“Yes. It is always hard to come back from a big injury. But it is part of football.
“Sometimes you get injured and have to deal with that. I think
the medical staff did well, I did well at the start, we managed the injury very well.
“Now I am just happy. I am fit and focused on the pitch and I will be ready for the World Cup.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *