A building’s sprinkler system saved a flat from being “severely” damaged by a fire that broke out on the fourth floor of a nine-floor building last night.
The fire “destroyed” part of the flat in Millbank, Westminster, before the sprinkler system activated and helped contain the fire before crews extinguished the blaze.
The brigade was called at around 6pm and the fire was under control by around 8pm. Five fire engines and about 35 firefighters from Lambeth, Soho and Clapham fire stations attended the scene.
The cause of the fire was accidental and is believed to be due to a faulty washer-dryer.
No injuries were reported by the London Fire Brigade (LFB).
A spokesman from the LFB said: “The number of buildings in London with sprinkler systems are still very low and we would like to see this increase.
“Sprinklers, alongside other fire safety measures, can greatly reduce the impact of fires on people, property, homes and communities.
“Sprinklers are not a luxury – they save lives and also reduce risk to the firefighters who have to tackle the fires.”
Pictured top: The fire “destroyed” part of the fourth floor flat in Millbank (Picture: LFB)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ