Fundraiser for 94-year-old woman whose flat was damaged by fire reaches nearly £7,000

A 94-year-old woman has been in hospital for a week with carbon monoxide poisoning and heat burns to her throat after a fire broke out in her flat.

Firefighters were called to the ground floor flat on Penwith Road in Earlsfield on November 23 by neighbours who heard a fire alarm and saw smoke coming from the letterbox.

The woman who is known as ‘Bubbles’ was rescued by firefighters and taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The community has raised almost £7000 to repair the damage caused by the fire, which has made the flat uninhabitable.

Natalie Rickman, Bubbles’ granddaughter, said: “My nanny is so special to us and, as we have recently found out from her neighbours, also really special to members of her community.

“This year has been an awful one for many, nanny especially. In August she spent 6 weeks in hospital with a torn gallbladder, twisted bowel and pneumonia and had only recently started to ‘feel like herself again’, so this has been a major blow to her and it would be amazing to show her she has lots of support and that people really do care about her.

“Nanny won’t be going back to that flat until we can make sure there is no trace of the fire as it would just break her heart, having lived there for over 70 years!”

To donate to Bubbles fundraising campaign click here.


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *