Charlton academy boss Steve Avory reckons that teenage centre-back Deji Elerewe has major potential.
The 17-year-old has featured for the Addicks in their early pre-season matches.
And Avory is backing Elerewe to stay grounded despite catching the eye in the tune-up games.
He told the South London Press: “Pre-season presents an opportunity for all of our young players, particularly with the U23 group. Nigel Adkins has always intended to have a good look at that group in pre-season. The whole of that group have joined in with the first-team since day one.
“Deji is an add-on to that, because he is a 17-year-old and through the circumstances that have been presented – with Ryan Inniss getting back to fitness – there was a need to look at another centre-back.
“Anthony Hayes [U23 manager] and myself had no doubt about saying that Deji should go over and have a look at him, which Nigel has done.
“You’re never 100 per cent sure which way that might go, because it is a big thing for a 17-year-old to settle and suddenly go into the first-team training environment, where he hasn’t been before.
“But he had a really successful, progressive season last year, his first year as a scholar. He developed a great deal in terms of on the ball, he became a much more assured player technically and playing out from the back. Defensively we always felt there was something there with him. That’s probably the initial reason he got a scholarship, because he has got that profile you’re looking for in a centre-back.
“It’s presented an opportunity for him and he’s impressed. People have been talking about him. I went to see him at Dartford on Saturday and he gave another solid 60 minutes.
“It’s still the initial part of his development as a young footballer. The one thing I can guarantee with Deji, good support from his family, he is very humble about his success and a very, very good learner. I’m sure he’ll continue to do so. He’s another I think has got a helluva lot of potential.”
PICTURE: KEITH GILLARD
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ