Investigation into police action as man tried to attend restricted Remembrance Day event at Cenotaph

The Metropolitan Police say they will investigate video footage which shows an officer using force after a man had tried to enter a restricted area in Whitehall.

The actions of the officer will be investigated – though Scotland Yard said the man had been warned to wait before trying to attend a Remembrance Day event at the Cenotaph.

A statement from the Met said: “The man had previously been asked to wait while the restricted area was opened up and he would be able to attend the Cenotaph.

“The road had been closed off as the Remembrance Sunday event this year was a closed ceremony due to Covid restrictions.

“The area has since been opened up and members of the public can now go on their way.

“A man – no further details- has been arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer. He remains in police custody at this time.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *