Charlton manager Dean Holden reckons that Jesurun Rak-Sakyi will learn and develop from his big miss in today’s 1-1 draw against Peterborough United.
The Crystal Palace loanee was unable to convert a big second-half opportunity as his first-time left-footed strike went wide of the post.
If Rak-Sakyi had put the chance away it would have put the Addicks 2-1 ahead and been the 20-year-old’s first goal since the 3-3 draw against Burton Albion on November 12.
“It happens,” said Holden, when asked about the opportunity. “You put yourself in the position and if you score you’re the hero. If you don’t then you have to make sure you take the next one.
“He’ll fancy himself to score in that moment and they are the big ones in games, aren’t they? It’s fine margins. He’ll get himself in there for the next one and I’m sure he’ll put it away.”
There have also been reports that Palace will look to recall Rak-Sakyi next month. But our paper had been told that the Eagles were set to base their decision-making on the managerial and ownership situation in SE7.
Holden has replaced Ben Garner as boss and there continues to be clear indications that current owner Thomas Sandgaard is either in the process of selling the club or set for investment which will dilute his involvement.
Asked about Rak-Sakyi potentially having his stay cut short, Holden responded: “It is noise. He’s signed to us. Obviously there is a parent club who, in the future, will be in charge of him. We’ve got him for the moment and he’s a really good player. We don’t talk about that [speculation he could be recalled]. We focus on improving him as a player. When we take a player from a Premier League club, it is our job to improve them and for them to come in and do well for the team.
“His goal involvements are probably more [frequent] in the early part of the season but he is a top young player.
“Moments like that, as much as he won’t like that now, will help him in the future. You have to learn from your experiences.”
PICTURES: KEITH GILLARD
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ