Jason Pearce to serve one-match suspension after sending off that Lee Bowyer felt was harsh

BY LOUIS MENDEZ

Charlton’s personnel crisis at the back continues as they must now do without skipper Jason Pearce for one game following his sending off against Rochdale.

The 33-year-old was given his marching orders by referee Trevor Kettle in the closing stages of the remarkable 4-4 draw at The Valley on Tuesday evening.

The centre-half had already been booked for a foul on halfway during the first-half before he received a second yellow card after lunging in to try and connect with a flick-on and plunder a winning goal for his side – only to miss the ball and make contact with Dale keeper Gavin Bazunu.

He’ll now serve a one-match suspension, leaving the Addicks short of natural centre-backs for Saturday’s trip to Bristol Rovers. Ryan Inniss and Akin Famewo are still on the treatment table, whilst makeshift defender Darren Pratley serves the third game of his ban for the red card he received at Hull – leaving Deji Oshilaja as the only recognised centre-half.

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale SkyBet League One, The Valley, 12 January 2021

It’s likely that Chris Gunter will be asked to fill in again in the role.

Asked about the sending off, manager Lee Bowyer said: “I said to the ref after that I thought it was harsh. He’s going for the ball. It’s an honest challenge. I said to the ref: ‘I don’t think you needed to give him that second yellow.It’s an honest challenge from someone that is trying to win the game.’

“If he doesn’t go for that challenge then I’d be saying him: ‘well, why didn’t you?’ It’s not right. Pearcey has done the right thing, he’s tried to win the ball. Even if he’s caught the keeper a little bit, there’s no intent to hurt him or anything. So, I thought it was harsh.

“We’ll have to juggle it around [on Saturday]. Nothing changes there. How many times have I had to juggle the centre-halves situation this season already. I’m sure we’ll find a way.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *