Jed Wallace looks set to be back in Millwall’s squad for tomorrow’s home match against Nottingham Forest – with the two clubs unable to agree a deal for the attacker.
The Lions turned down an initial bid of £1million for the 27-year-old, who is out of contract this summer.
Forest increased their offer to £1.25m which was also instantly rejected.
There had been claims earlier this week that former Millwall and Charlton striker Lyle Taylor could be included in a package but a Den return for the 31-year-old – other than has an opposition player this weekend – has been rejected by multiple sources.
Wallace, who has scored five goals and picked up six assists in 21 Championship matches this season, has not played since December 11.
He resumed training last week but was not part of the Lions’ 20-man party for the FA Cup third round derby defeat to Palace.
Asked about including Wallace against Forest, Rowett replied: “I don’t see it any differently to any other game. He’s trained well this week and he’ll be fully focused on us trying to win the game.
“It always pans out strange in football that you come up against a team who are allegedly trying to sign you. Jed’s an experienced player. The focus is on what do we need to do to try and win the game? That’s all that really will be important.
“As it stands he will be 100 per cent either starting or on the bench, whichever one we choose. He will be available.”
Millwall have seen offers for two creative midfielders – Derby’s Louie Sibley and Fortuna Sittard’s Zian Flemming – turned down.
There is yet to be any major transfers conducted in or out by the South Londoners since the transfer window opened on January 1.
“It is the same clubs who have probably done business,” said Rowett. “It’s been a very, very quiet window.
“Forest and Middlesbrough look to be the ones who are most active.
“The top teams are going to try and consolidate their squads. The ones in the chasing pack are going to try their best to get in the top six in what is a quite open play-off race. It’s what we’re trying to do and we have that ambition. Some teams are perhaps a little bit more capable of doing things quickly. We’ve got to do it sensibly.”
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.