BY LOUIS MENDEZ
Johnnie Jackson says there’s been plenty of talk behind the scenes as Charlton prepare to make use of the January transfer window.
Harry Arter’s return to parent club Nottingham Forest on Tuesday afternoon means that the Addicks also have an additional loan spot available to fill as they look to conjure up some business that could help the South Londoners make up a 14-point gap between themselves and League One’s top six during the second half of the campaign.
Jackson said: “It’s busy. There’s lots of conversations. That’s what happens at the start of the window. Lots of conversation, very little action. There’s been very little business conducted so far. All of a sudden, deals will start happening and they snowball from there.
“As much as you’re keen to get your business done early, it’s a really tricky window. It takes time. Deals are complicated and take time to do. We have to be patient and not rush it. Try and get the right types that will help us later in the season.
“It’s a loan spot that’s now available. We have to look at those things, look at the squad, look at where there’s hole that we might need to fill. Where we can improve. That’s what we’re doing, looking at that every day. Talking between myself and Steve [Gallen, director of recruiting] and Martin Sandgaard [director of analysis] and the guys in recruitment. We’re in constant conversation and hopefully we can do some business and get the right types that are going to come and help us.”
Former Addicks’ academy graduate Arter returned to The Valley on a season-long loan after reportedly being told he had no future at the City Ground.
But the 32-year-old has found game time hard to come by – making just four league and two cup appearances for the Addicks.
“He never got the games that he would have liked,” admitted Jackson.
“We didn’t manage to get him those minutes on the pitch. He was looking to come here and play games but it never worked out that way. He was great around the place, very professional. Got on with the job and trained hard. He just couldn’t force his way into that team.
“He’s had to reassess, we’ve had to reassess and he’s gone back to Forest. It was just one of those things that didn’t work out but we wish him the best of luck and hope he goes back there and is a success.”
PHOTOS: KEITH GILLARD / PAUL EDWARDS
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ