Jude Gayle death: Three years on family still do not have justice

The family of a man who was stabbed to death are still waiting for justice three years later – as a new appeal for information is launched by the police.

Jude Gayle, 30, described as a “family man” and a father-of-one, was fatally stabbed in an alleyway near his home in West Norwood on September 24, 2017.

Now, on the third anniversary of Jude’s death, the police are asking members of the public who may have information to come forward.

On the night of his death, Jude had been at home preparing a family meal and left his address to drive a short distance to a corner shop on the junction of Dunbar Street and Norwood High Street.

Corner of Norwood High Street and Dunbar Street

After leaving the corner shop with his shopping, he was stabbed in an alleyway in Dunelm Grove.

At around 5.40pm, emergency services were called to the alleyway where Jude was stabbed, but he was pronounced dead at the scene an hour later.

A post-mortem examination the following day gave cause of death as incised wounds.

Three men were prosecuted, but were all later to be found not guilty following a trial at the Old Bailey.

On the second anniversary of Jude’s death the Metropolitan Police offered a £20,000 reward for any information which may have led to the prosecution of those responsible.

Detective Chief Inspector Tim Wright, who continues to lead the investigation for the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “It is now three years since Jude was brutally stabbed to death, and our commitment to securing justice for him and his family is as strong as ever.

“Jude was a family man and those who loved him have been left bereft. Nobody has been convicted of his murder and every day they have had to live without justice for their father, son and brother.

“A number of witnesses came forward with information over the course of the last few years, and we remain very grateful for this. However, I am convinced there are some people who have not yet come forward who could, even three years on, make a significant contribution to the investigation.

“This remains a live investigation and please do not think that anything you have to share with us is redundant – we are ready to take your call.

“We also understand there are reasons which may have stopped you from calling police. If you still do not want to talk to us directly, you can call Crimestoppers which is 100 per cent anonymous.

“If you have information about who did this, please know that we really want to hear from you.

“Jude’s family have previously spoken eloquently of the pain of their loss and their desire to get justice for Jude. If you have been holding back, for whatever reason, I urge you now to examine your conscience, come forward and do the right thing.”

Anyone with information about Jude’s death can contact the Incident Room on 0208 721 4961 or via the police non-emergency number 101.

Pictured: Jude Gayle and, inset, the corner of Norwood High Street and Dunbar Street


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *