Lee Bowyer: Jonny Williams will find Charlton Athletic challenge easier this time around

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

[email protected]

Jonny Williams gave Charlton Athletic fans the news they were craving – as he penned a deal with the Championship new boys yesterday.

The 25-year-old attacker has signed until the summer of 2020 but with an option to extend that by a further 12 months.

Wales international Williams completed his medical on Thursday morning. He was an almost instant fans’ favourite after arriving from Crystal Palace in January. And he had linked up with Lee Bowyer’s side before their pre-season training camp in Spain.

“We didn’t think we’d be able to afford him,” Bowyer told the South London Press. “Fair play to Jonny, he has dropped his wage a hell of a lot from what he was on last year – because we have our budget.

“Jonny wants to come and play for us. He loved his six months here.

“It was more difficult for him last year, because he came in January and so to hit the ground running is hard.

“Jonny’s such a nice fella – probably the nicest fella I’ve ever met in the game.

“At times you can say he is too nice. He doesn’t want to upset people, to take their position. But it is different now – he knows everyone here and knows what we’re about.

“He’s going to be fit because he has been with us all pre-season. He had to catch up in January, so there were a few hurdles in his way. Now he comes in with a clean slate.

“He needs to score and assist in the position he plays, he knows that. We’ll work hard with him on that side of his game.

“But he made a massive impact in the final third when he came on in the play-off final. 

“Jonny is more like a player who assists the assister – he gets the ball, runs with it and drives at people. He’ll then lay off for the player to get the assist or score the goal. He brings a lot of experience.”

PICTURE: CHARLTON ATHLETIC FC

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *