Lee Bowyer reckons that Thomas Sandgaard deserves all the praise showered on him by Charlton Athletic fans – after the Danish businessman announced he had bought the club earlier today.
The 62-year-old Dane, who is a US citizen and is based in Colorado, has been approved by the EFL.
Bowyer confirmed this evening that the transfer embargo placed on the Addicks had been lifted and that they could press ahead with making signings – with at least two expected before Sunday’s fixture at Lincoln City.
The Charlton manager had been operating under a transfer embargo since the start of January when East Street Investments, who bought the club for just £1 off Roland Duchatelet, took control without EFL approval.
There has also been a legal dispute which saw Paul Elliott, announced as the new owner in June, go to the Court of Appeal to obtain an injunction on the sale of the club.
But Sandgaard claims that the fact he bought the Addicks and not ESI – meaning his deal could go ahead.
Bowyer said: “I’m just happy that we can move forward with the football club and start planning. That’s all I care about.
“We’ve got the right person behind us now to rebuild.
“I’ll sleep better now. I feel exhausted. I can’t tell you how many sleepless nights I’ve had or just waking up all the time because of all the craziness that has been going on.
“Just seeing the problems get worse and worse. Now I can just focus on what I’m paid to do and that’s trying to win games.”
Asked if supporters should be cautious that there could be another sting in the tale, the Charlton boss sounded confident all the major issues were heading into the rearview mirror.
“From what I understand that is it [in terms of the takeover being done]. I don’t think we’d be announcing like we have as a football club if that wasn’t the case.
“Thomas is in charge now. Everyone knows that and the EFL wouldn’t have allowed us to come out of the embargo if that wasn’t the case. In my eyes that’s it now, everything is dealt with and we can move forward as a football club.
“What’s different this time is that the EFL have asked for proof of funds and the two groups previously didn’t show that – hence why we were under that strict embargo. Now, for us to come out of the embargo, Thomas has shown proof of funds and there is now money in the club.
“That’s a big part – especially in today’s climate and what is going on around the world.
“We were near rock bottom, I’m not going to hide that fact. Thomas will deserve all the praise he gets because we were in a bad place and he’s just saved us really.
“The EFL have given him approval. He’s passed every test they’ve asked. He’s put money into accounts where they need to be so that everybody can get paid for ‘x’ amount of time. So every question that got asked of him, he has come up trumps. That’s not what happened in the past.
“If I’m a fan I think you can say: ‘I can relax now’.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.