London bus travel will be free during lockdown, Transport for London confirms

By Jessie Mathewson, BBC local democracy reporter

 

Bus travel in London will be free of charge during the coronavirus outbreak, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.

All two-door buses will move to middle-door entry on Monday (20 April) – with the front of the vehicle roped off to protect drivers from contact with passengers.

Those travelling will not have to tap in with their Oyster or bank card, TfL has said.

The change follows a one week trial in south London. TfL said it was satisfied that social distancing could be maintained when passengers boarded from the middle of the bus

Bus use has fallen 85 per cent during lockdown compared to the same time last year, the network said.

Sadiq Khan thanked bus workers for their “heroic” role fighting the virus, and said he was “really pleased” middle-door boarding will now be introduced across London.

He said: “I will continue to do whatever it takes to keep our transport workers as safe as possible.”

But drivers said the Mayor should stop “trumpeting” his successes, and do more to stop bus workers dying from Covid-19.

Twenty-six transport workers have died of the virus in the capital, according to the latest confirmed figures – including at least 15 bus workers.

Drivers today held a minute’s silence at 9am to honour the colleagues they have lost – and told the Local Democracy service they feel neglected and vulnerable.

TfL says it has already introduced extra anti-viral cleaning on buses, sealed the screens on drivers’ cabins, and blocked chairs near the driver – but staff say the changes are not being applied consistently across the city.

One driver said middle-door opening was “a great first step” – but he now believes drivers should also be issued with face masks for further protection.

Another said the change was “too little too late to make a difference” – and could encourage more people to use buses during lockdown if they don’t have to pay.

And a third driver said he was concerned about “a greater risk of cross contamination” if passengers were all boarding at the same door.

Guidance from bus companies sent to drivers shows buses with one door will still be used on some routes, he said – meaning those workers will not be protected.

He said: “The standing joke already is that they will be going around with no passengers because the drivers are in solidarity with their double-door colleagues.”

He claimed there has been “no joined up thinking”, and changes are being brought in ad hoc, rather than following a clear plan.

But TfL bus chief Claire Mann said the network will “leave no stone unturned” to protect drivers. 

She said: “Extending middle-door only boarding across the bus network will add another layer of protection on top of the other robust safeguards in place.”

Peter Kavanagh, London regional secretary for Unite, said he was “relieved” TfL and the Mayor has listened to the union’s concerns.

He said: “We have 20,000 bus workers across the capital, and they have lost colleagues and friends in recent weeks.

“They need to see all the support that they can muster from the Mayor, the employers and TfL so that they can assure their loved ones that they are being kept safe at work.”


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


6 thoughts on “London bus travel will be free during lockdown, Transport for London confirms

  • 17th April 2020 at 6:50 pm
    Permalink

    thank you to mayor of london trying tp protect everybody,it is quite remarkable,again thanks

    Reply
    • 18th April 2020 at 4:40 pm
      Permalink

      My Wife went on H25 bus in Feltham/Hounslow today the told her there’s no free service????

      Reply
  • 19th April 2020 at 3:56 pm
    Permalink

    As I am not now being paid from work, due to the situation with Covid-19, it is a welcome change to not have to pay (broke anyway) but for how long are they going to allow free travel and, is this LONDON wide free bud service?

    Reply
  • 19th April 2020 at 11:33 pm
    Permalink

    It is good that London bus will now be free during lockdown to protect bus drivers from the Covid-19, thanks alot Sadiaq Khan.

    Reply
  • 20th April 2020 at 8:42 am
    Permalink

    Is the 213 service from Sutton to Kingston hospital free as I work at Kingston hospital and is it free going home

    Reply
  • 20th April 2020 at 6:22 pm
    Permalink

    My bus is mostly a single door bus. Does that mean I will still have to pay??

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *