Maidstone 3 Welling United 1 – Wings’ unbeaten run comes to an end


Defeat at Maidstone United ended below par Welling United’s unbeaten run and they can have had few complaints.

As neither side bossed the first tentative forty-five minutes, it looked like the first goal would be crucial and so it proved to be as Maidstone were the better team after they went ahead.

Preparation had not been ideal for Welling with training called off late on Thursday evening. They were also without left back Nathan Green through illness and right back Chiori Johnson played carrying an ankle injury.

Anthony Green takes on Iffy Allen

Philip Roberts had the first opening with a header that was saved by Chris Lewington from makeshift left back Gavin McCallum’s cross.

Johnson was then relieved when he turned a Ross Marshall header into his own net but the Maidstone centre half had strayed offside to meet Dan Wishart’s free kick. Soon after, Diaz Wright came to Welling’s defence when he cleared Marshall’s shot off the goal-line.

Keeper Chris Lewington keeps out a free kick

Wright was then in attacking action when the middle opened up for him allowing him to go on a long surging run but Lewington made himself big and stuck out his right boot to save.

At the other end, Dan Wilks saved from Saidou Khan before an overhead effort from Justin Amaluzar flew wide. Zihni Temelci fired over the last effort of the half just before the break.

Team mates celebrate Iffy Allen’s goal

Lewington made another excellent save immediately after the break when turning a Cook free kick around the post at full stretch before Maidstone scored the crucial first goal. Amaluzar showed the desire to keep the ball in play and crossed for Allen with time and space at the far post and he tucked home from close range.

It became two when Temelci was not closed down at the near post and he fired home from Allen’s pass.

Dan Wilks is beaten by Zihni Temelci’s shot

Adam Coombes and Korrey Henry were brought on and the former had the ball in the net for Welling but he was adjudged to have handled as he controlled it and it was disallowed.

Penalty awarded as substitute Korrey Henry is tripped inside the box

Watters headed wide and Khan had a powerful but straight shot well held by Wilks before Welling pulled one back with a minute remaining. Korrey Henry was clipped just inside the penalty area. Anthony Cook stepped up and converted confidently.

Four Welling strikers were already on the field of play but Bradley Quinton went for broke and sent centre half Rob Swaine forward and it almost paid off when he nodded on a long Wilks clearance but Coombes went for a first time effort and it flew wide.

Captain Anthony Cook gets one back for the Wings

However, Maidstone took full advantage when substitute AyukTarh burst clear and he finished superbly with the last kick of the match.

Welling United: Wilks, Johnson (Henry 70), McCallum, Joseph, Swaine, Wright, James, Goldberg (Coombes 70), Akinyemi, Roberts (Rolt 80), Cook. Subs not used: Dymond, Agyemang.


Please support your local paper by making a donation



Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *