Man dead after fire breaks out in flat

BY KIRSTY PURNELL
toby@slpmedia.co.uk

A pensioner died after a fire in his kitchen last week despite the fire alarm going off in his flat, neighbours say.

Osu Olanrewaju was rescued from his ground floor flat in Chantrey Road, Brixton, by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus last Friday and he was treated by ambulance crews at the scene.

He was taken to King’s College Hospital but died later that night.

The fire brigade was called to Chantrey Road at 11.44am and three fire engines and 14 firefighters had the blaze under control by 12.11pm.

Brigade officials have not yet confirmed the cause of the flames but neighbours believe the fire broke out when Mr Olanrewaju was cooking.

One neighbour, who does not want to be named, said that the victim – known locally as Mr Osu – was a well-liked member of the community.

He said: “I was going shopping around 11am. I came back and the police and ambulance were here. I’m shocked. He was a lovely man.”

Mr Olanrewaju is believed to be a retired civil servant in his seventies who lived alone after his wife died last year.

Another neighbour said: “He was gorgeous. A really lovely man who cared enormously for his family, particularly his wife before she died.”

Police said they are not investigating and have deemed the incident as non-suspicious. A file has been prepared for the coroner and a post-mortem will be carried out in due course.


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


One thought on “Man dead after fire breaks out in flat

  • 9 February 2018 at 17:21
    Permalink

    Ultimately tragic news for all that new him.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *