Man dubbed “Rush Hour Prowler” given six years in prison for assaulting 14 girls – some as young as 8

A man dubbed the ‘Rush Hour Prowler’ who was convicted of sexually assaulting 14  girls and women during the daily commute, has been sentenced to six-years in jail.

Kevin Bond, 51, attacked girls as young as eight during a horrific crime spree between October 2016 – November 2017.

The attacks spanned four South London boroughs: Southwark, Lewisham, Greenwich and Bromley – with the majority committed at peak commuting times in the morning and evening rush hours.

His youngest victim, aged eight, was attacked in Vulcan Terrace, Lewisham, while on her way to school between 8.20am and 8.50am on November 13 last year.

The Chislehurst resident also sexually assaulted an 11-year-old girl in Herne Hill on September 18 last year and five different 13-year-olds in Lewisham, Orpington, Blackheath and Lee.

Bond attacked a 11-year-old in Lee on September 28 last year during the morning rush hour, then a 13-year-old in Greenwich during the evening rush hour.

He also struck three times in just 25 minutes in Blackheath on October 5 last year – groping a 13-year-old girl then attacking two women in their twenties.

Kevin Bond Offences Map

Temporary Detective Superintendent Andrew Furphy, who led the investigation, said:  “These offences have been utterly traumatic for the victims, all of whom have been young females going about their daily lives, to and from school and their workplaces – when Bond appeared and attacked them in broad daylight.

“I would like to pay tribute to their bravery in assisting us with this long-running investigation – as well as the public who provided us with information after the appeals were issued. I’d like to thank the Crown Prosecution Service for their commitment to building a robust and complex prosecution case and I’d like to thank my officers who worked tirelessly and relentlessly to apprehend Bond, a dangerous sexual predator. It is right that today he has been given a significant custodial sentence. The streets of south London are a far safer place now he is locked up.

“We are however aware that there might be further victims who have not yet spoken to police; if you are a victim, or know someone who has been, I can assure you your information will be treated with the strict  confidence and sensitivity. We also have access to specialist support.”

Bond, who has two grown up children and grandchildren, continued onto his job at a central London university after a number of his morning assaults in leafy, surburban streets – attacks.

Prosecutors said there was a use of violence in the offences and a ‘degree of planning as they were committed at specific times of day’.

Bond was finally apprehended by police in January this year through forensics and after being identified from CCTV footage issued last November showing him fleeing the scene of one of his attacks.

He was originally arrested on suspicion of 26 attacks, but finally was charged and pleaded guilty to 14. Police believe it is possible there are further victims who have not yet come forward – and urged any to contact them.

South Senior Crown Prosecutor Daniel Geller said: “Kevin Bond carried out sexual attacks on unsuspecting young females, including schoolgirls, in public places, often while they were on their way to or from school or work. The Court today heard accounts from his victims, who were without fail terrified and extremely upset by the attacks, not to mention the impact on the wider communities of South-east London, where the attacks occurred.

“Bond is a dangerous sexual predator who will now spend time in prison for his crimes. We hope this conviction brings some closure to his victims and we thank them for their courage in coming forward to report these offences to the police.”

Bond was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court on Monday July 23.

 


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *