A man has been jailed for 15 years after carrying out a string of armed robberies and threatening customers in a restaurant, writes James Twomey.
Price Dafiaghor, 33, of no fixed abode, was connected by police to four armed robberies in supermarkets in the Streatham area after he was arrested in December last year for threatening a customer in a fast food restaurant in Brixton with a gun.
On December 28, 2018 police were flagged down by members of the public in Brixton to reports of a man believed to be in possession of a gun.
After entering a takeaway restaurant in Brixton Road, Dafiaghor got into an argument with another customer.
He then went to his car and took out a firearm wrapped in a balaclava before returning to the restaurant.
When the altercation escalated, staff and customers spilled out of the shop, stopping passing police vehicles for help.
CCTV played in court showed the defendant calmly leaving the shop, taking the firearm from inside his trousers and placing it in a nearby wheelie bin.
He was detained shortly afterwards in a nearby newsagents and the weapon was quickly recovered.
A subsequent investigation by officers from the Met linked Dafiaghor to four armed robberies which had been committed in South London.
In each, Dafiaghor had entered a supermarket, threatened staff with a firearm and forced them to hand over cash from a safe or till before fleeing the scene.
In some of the robberies, he had taken staff members out of the stores at gunpoint in order to aid his escape.
The four armed robberies took place between September 5 and November 29, 2018.
Dafiaghor targeted a Co-op in Streatham Vale, snatching around £3,000, a Tesco in Crown Lane where he made off with £2,000, a Tesco in London
Road where no money was taken and a Co-op in Fairview Road where around £8,000 was stolen.
Detective constable Mark Waker said: “Dafiaghor is a dangerous individual who carried out these violent raids over a number of months and showed a complete disregard for the staff and public who were caught up in these attacks.
“As well as significant financial loss, these incidents left the victims involved traumatised and we want to pay tribute to those who assisted the investigation.
“We are pleased he has now been brought to justice and faces a considerable time to reflect on his reckless actions.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.