Charlton boss Johnnie Jackson has revealed that Shrewsbury Town goalkeeper Marko Marosi reported receiving abuse of a racist nature during today’s game at The Valley.
Visiting manager Steve Cotterill confirmed that the Salop stopper “had something shouted at him” during an incident in the 79th minute that led to a delay of around seven minutes while referee Sam Purkiss co-ordinated a response.
The official was seen talking to security staff and both managers before play was eventually restarted.
Marosi, who is of Slovak descent, was visibly frustrated during the incident and appeared to point out a supporter to stewards in the lower Covered End at The Valley.
“I believe it was an allegation of racism,” said Jackson.
“That’s what the referee said. He said there had been an incident in the crowd. The goalkeeper had made an accusation and they needed to deal with it. That’s as far as I know about it.
“Obviously, it’s a delicate situation and matter, so it’s probably best not to speculate. The club will look into it and deal with it as they see fit.”
Cotterill added: “Something was said. He had something shouted at him. I’m not prepared to repeat that on camera because if I did repeat it, it would be very offensive and everybody would say ‘why has he said what he said?’
“It was very offensive, certainly not timely, in this moment, with what’s going on in the world.
“It’s not timely – and also to get his nationality right would be handy.
“He’s okay. It’s not a nice thing to happen to him today, I don’t know if it’s the first time to happen to him in his career. But they’re all life experiences, aren’t they? You can’t legislate for a couple of fools in the crowd. Charlton Athletic have been a proper club. I don’t think Marko will press charges, I think it’s probably best he lets it go otherwise he’s going to be targeted.
“It was more about getting the person out the ground for what he said to Marko. It’s just not acceptable in this day and age.
“Unfortunately it then reflects on the good folk of Charlton Athletic and their club. It shouldn’t and hopefully it won’t.”
Charlton Athletic released the following statement this evening: “Following the complaint of discriminatory abuse during today’s game against Shrewsbury Town, the club can provide a further update.
The club can confirm that police are investigating the incident and appealing for information, however no arrests have been made at this stage.
Police have said that it has been established that the two individuals who were removed from the stadium at the request of referee Sam Purkiss were not involved in the abuse. They were allowed to leave with no further action taken against them. The club would like to thank the individuals for their compliance.
The club are continuing to work with the police in an effort to identify those who were involved in the incident. Any supporters with information on the incident are advised to get in touch with the club or call 101.
The club has a zero-tolerance policy towards any form of discrimination and a long history of promoting equality and tackling discrimination.
A statement from the Met Police said: “Shortly before the end of the match between Shrewsbury and Charlton at The Valley on Saturday, April 23, the referee was made aware of racial abuse directed at a Shrewsbury player.
“Two males were escorted from the stand by stewards and were handed over to officers.
“After making further enquiries and speaking to witnesses, it was established that the two men escorted from the stand were not involved in the abuse. They were allowed to leave with no further action taken against them.
“Officers will work with the club to carry out further enquiries in an effort to identify those who were involved in the incident.”
Charlton Athletic originally issued a statement on Saturday evening stating someone had been arrested regarding this incident.
This was then corrected by the club later and the new statement is now reflected in this story.
PHOTOS: KYLE ANDREWS
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.