The Met have charged six people with suspected offences following a pro-Palestine protest on Saturday, as they promise to be “sharper” in their crackdown on protesters breaching the law.
In total, 29 people were arrested by the Met on suspicion of public order offences, racially motivated crimes and assaulting a police officer.
The force also reported that fireworks had been aimed into the crowd and at police by protestors, leaving four officers injured.
Counter terrorism officers are currently investigating a pamphlet that was on sale at the protest and reportedly in support of Hamas.
Four of those arrested have been referred to youth offending teams.
Fintan Owens, 23, of no fixed address and Omar Abdelbagi, 41, of Wembley Park Drive, Wembley, will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today charged with failing to comply with conditions under the Public Order Act.
Aisha Ennas, 39, of Lyons Place, Westminster, Nzar Mohammed Sofi, 22, of Parkfield Crescent, Harrow, and Dashiel Howarth, 25, of Woodgrange Road, Forest Gate, will appear at the same court on November 22, also charged with breaching the Public Order Act.
Mohammed Chowdhury, 24, of Sidney Street, Whitechapel, was charged with failing to comply with the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act. He will also appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on November 22.
Commander Karen Findlay, said: “Our officers have been working tirelessly to deal with the 29 individuals arrested, with six of those now charged and set to appear in court.
“More than 1,300 officers were on duty on Saturday, intervening where necessary to prevent further disruption.
“Sadly we saw an increase in violence against them, most significantly when four officers were injured when fireworks were thrown in their direction. All bravely carried on in their duties.
“We will continue to be sharper in our response and take action on any placards being carried at protests which are inflammatory and incite racial hatred, or purport to be supporting a proscribed organisation.”
Responding to the announcement of plans for a mass rally next Saturday, on Armistice Day, Commander Finlay said: “Thousands of officers will be deployed in an extensive security operation and we will use all powers and tactics at our disposal to ensure that anyone intent on disrupting it will not succeed.”
Pictured top: Protesters during a pro-Palestine march organised by Palestine Solidarity Campaign in Westminster on October 28 (Picture: PA)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ