Millwall boss Gary Rowett responds to report claiming Tottenham will recall Troy Parrott

Gary Rowett says there has been no contact from Tottenham about terminating Troy Parrott’s stay at Millwall.

Football Insider website ran a story last week that the Republic of Ireland U21 international was going to head back to the Premier League giants next month.

And they produced a follow up to that claiming that Spurs were “hopeful” of agreeing a new loan deal for the young forward in January.

Parrott suffered quad and ankle injuries which saw him only feature once for the Lions before November 21.

He is yet to score in eight Championship appearances and has not started since the 3-0 loss at Middlesbrough.

Parrott was an unused sub in the victory at Bristol City and played the final 18 minutes of the 1-1 draw with Forest last time out with Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Tom Bradshaw starting the last two fixtures.

Rowett said: “I was a little bit surprised to read a story which I’m not sure how much credence that has got in terms of being real, because we certainly have not had anything from Tottenham in terms of that is their intention – to recall him.

“I think Troy came here with a view to a season of experiencing some of the ups and downs of professional football.

“He’s had his injuries which were frustrating and disappointing after such a strong pre-season. He’s been involved in 90 per cent of the games, when he has been fit.

“There are areas I’ve been pleased with and there are other areas, which I’ve spoken to him about, where I think he can improve his game. But he is a young player – we want to work with him and give him a season in the Championship that was always going to be a challenge for an 18-year-old.

“He’s a very, very good player and we know he is going to improve as the season goes on and he’s going to do what he needs to do to hopefully go back and challenge to be in Tottenham’s team.

“That was always the intention for me – nothing has changed. As far as I’m concerned there isn’t really any substance to the stories.”

 


 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *