Millwall boss Rowett set for talks with chief executive Kavanagh to map out backroom team plans

Gary Rowett is set for discussions with Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh over his backroom plans before the end of this week.

The Lions saw a change to their set-up during lockdown with assistant manager Callum Davidson leaving to take charge at St Johnstone.

It saw Adam Barrett step up as interim number two with U23s chief Kevin Nugent appointed first-team coach on a temporary basis.

Millwall can no longer reach the Championship play-offs after Saturday’s 4-3 loss at QPR. But Rowett said no decisions had been made yet over his management team for the 2020-21 campaign.

Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh

He said: “They [Barrett and Nugent] are interim changes. I spoke to the staff about that, it was something I wanted to do until the end of the season. There is no commitment or no definitive answer until the season finishes.

“I felt that continuity has helped us. Adam and Nuge have done a fantastic job behind the scenes.

“But next season is next season and I have some ideas about what I want that to look like – I’ll be sitting down with Steve [Kavanagh, chief executive] to discuss that at length.

“It was always the plan, the staff knew that. We’ll decide whether we keep it the same or we feel we need to change it in a different way.

“The challenge to having three weeks off [roughly the time that Millwall players will get as a summer break] is that when we get to Wednesday we want to have done most of our work.

“We’ll all be working remotely on signings, but I want to essentially get most of the stuff done by Wednesday – it doesn’t necessarily mean anything will be announced by Wednesday. Most of those meetings will be had by then, so that I can go and get at least a little bit of a break with my family. I’ve been living away from home for nine-10 months as well. I’m keen to spend a bit of time with them as well as try and move the group, the staff and the club forward.”

PICTURES BY BRIAN TONKS


Please support your local paper by making a donation

 

 

Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ


Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.

So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *