BY RICHARD CAWLEY
Omar Bogle got his first minutes for Charlton Athletic during an in-house game at the weekend – with manager Lee Bowyer warning the striker will take time to build up his sharpness.
The 28-year-old, a free agent after leaving Cardiff City this summer, has signed a 12-month deal with the option of extending his stay by another season.
Bogle joined Dutch club ADO Den Haag on loan in the January transfer window but featured just five times before the Eredivisie was suspended in mid-March. The following month the campaign was voided.
“He has got power, strength and pace,” said Bowyer. “We have to play to his strengths. If I’m a player then I’m thinking about getting the ball to his feet and then running off him. He can finish and he’s got a lovely left foot.
“He got 50 minutes in an 11v11 in-house game at the weekend. Omar did okay for someone who hasn’t really kicked a ball for months and months and months.
“Omar is a targetman with pace. He will score and assist.
“Don’t get me wrong – he still has to catch up, like some of the other lads we’ve signed. My worry is whether we’ve got enough time to catch up to the teams at the top when they are fully up to speed.
“Chuks Aneke got around 50 minutes, Marcus Maddison got 40-50 minutes, Akin [Famewo] got 60 and so did Ben Watson.”
Bowyer is set to be without Deji Oshilaja for tomorrow’s home game against Wigan. The former Wimbledon man has a foot injury.
Alex Gilbey and Jason Pearce are also still ruled out.
“We trained tough on Tuesday and then yesterday and Friday will just be shape work,” said Bowyer.
“We’ve got players coming back from international duty and Chris Gunter [signed last week] hadn’t even trained with us [because he was away with Wales].
“We’ll have to smash the shape stuff because the lads haven’t done anything with us, they are new to us – it is like restarting, rebooting again.
“You normally do this stuff before the start of a season but we haven’t been able to do that because of the embargo.”
Please support your local paper by making a donation
Please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing recently: “A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
So if you have enjoyed reading this story, and if you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can buy our newspaper or make a donation, which will allow us to continue to bring stories like this one to you both in print and online.